1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Turn Indicators As Running Lights?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by john clelland, Oct 9, 2020.

1. anyone know of a method to keep the front and rear turn indicators on at all times when the multi is running, to act as running lights?

2. I think the front indicators may end up being annoying for oncoming traffic. They are quite bright. I guess running lights is an American thing?

3. In France whilst filtering on motorways it is common practice for motorcyclists to switch on their hazard warning indicators.
    This is especially true whilst going round Paris's ring-road motorway, the Periferique, in rush hour. You get convoys of PTWs weaving past slow or stationary traffic at relatively high speeds, and car drivers in France are very bike-aware and make every effort to make way for them.

In other countries your results may vary.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I believe that running lights of any colour other than white to the front and red to the rear are illegal, or contrary to manufacturing type approval, in the UK if not across Europe. Indicators as running lights are predominantly a US thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Doesnt the Honda Africa Twin have indicators that stay on and used as DRL? I am sure i read somewhere the indicators are on and go off to flash, opposite way from normal?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Isn't it simply a question of buying the right relay for them to be switched that way? So if you know a bike model - as @NSR500 suggests, the Honda Africa Twin, for example - you should be able to buy the indicator relay and wire that one in in place of the one fitted to your bike.. I have no idea, however, whether Canbus would have something to say about it on your dash

• Like Like x 1
  7. Not illegal. The 2021 GS has optional indicator running lights.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. There'll be more to it than that, it'd be easy enough on a non Canbus bike using dual filament bulbs, no idea with LED, is there even a relay involved anymore?

9. As I understand it filtering is ilegal in France.

https://ukfrancebikers.com/2011/03/...in-france-police-dirty-tricks-lead-to-racket/

10. That’s a joke, you filter in France at about 40km per hour!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Would they be rated for continuous use? Im thinking they would burn out? Im also thinking it would be illegal under the C&U regs and/or a MOT failure...

SAying that, I know you can get new sets for my Bonny 1200 Speedmaster that do stop, tail and indicate. If they are available for Triumphs I would hazard a guess that they do them for other makes as well.

12. 'Hazard a guess' Good punning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I'm sure every country has its own rules. In Canada, it is allowed:

Switching — Daytime Running Lamps

• (28) Subject to subsections (29) and (30), the daytime running lamps on a vehicle shall be activated not later than when the vehicle is set in motion under its own power and shall remain activated until the motors or engines used for the vehicle’s propulsion are switched off and as a result the vehicle enters a mode of operation other than “accessory” or “on”.

• (29) The daytime running lamps on a vehicle shall
      • (a) be deactivated while the lower beam headlamps are activated to provide road illumination;

• (b) beginning on September 1, 2020, be deactivated while the front fog lamps provide road illumination after being activated by the driver; and

• (c) if they also serve as front turn signal lamps,
        • (i) be deactivated on the side of the vehicle where a turn signal is activated, while that turn signal is activated, and
        • (ii) be deactivated on both sides of the vehicle while the hazard warning signal is activated.
    • (30) The daytime running lamps on a vehicle may be
      • (a) deactivated while the parking brake is applied or the transmission control is in the park or neutral position and the vehicle is not in motion;

• (b) deactivated while the headlamps are being flashed for signaling purposes;

• (c) switched off manually, in which case they shall reactivate automatically, at the discretion of the manufacturer, either not later than when the vehicle travels more than 100 m or when the speed of the vehicle exceeds 10 km/h; and

• (d) wired to flash for signaling purposes.

14. It is legal in the EU and the UK, has been for about a year now.

16. wow ... i did not think it was possible to create a thread that would elicit more comments that are not answering the original question, than the dreaded oil or even tire/tyre recommendation ... but hot damn, this one seems to have done it.

i don't really care if turn indicators as running lights are illegal in "fill in the blank" country ... i simply asked if it is possible.

upload_2020-10-10_16-40-21.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. In short, it is. Have seen them myself. I guess any auto electrician could do it.

18. Just as a further this thread. It would be quite clever if the front LED indicators could be dual colour, orange & white as per a lot of Audi/Range Rover etc etc cars. On normal running they are white, when an indicator signal is required and the turn signal switch is used, the white run light extinguishes on that side and the orange indicator light comes on and does the normal indicator flashing thing. Once the indicator signal is cancelled or self cancels (Ha...if only!) the light reverts back to the white run light. That would be slick!

• Like Like x 1
  19. I think the latest BMWs do that, they certainly do it on the rear with amber/red and I think that they do it on the front too.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information