1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Turning On By Itself

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by MikeM93, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Just back from a tour of buttertub pass and Yorkshire area. Couple of amazing days. But worryingly yet another fault on my 1200s. Came out a service station on way down to a biker on a KTM parked near my bike, he was about to come in looking for a biker as I had left the lights and dash on. But I hadnt. I was sure I hadnt. Got to the digs and turned it off. Checked in. Went to get luggage off the bike and lights were on and so was dash. It's a keyless bike but I wasnt near it. Happened several times over the weekend. Had to disconnect negative terminal overnight friday and saturday. So in a couple of months I've had a fried battery. Gear position sensor. Brake reservoir leaking. Clutch fluid slave reservoir. Engine light for low oil even though it wasnt near the bottom line! Now its turning its self on. Anyone ever had that issue? Love the keyless idea but this is such a hassle. Ducati glasgow have been great but getting near end of warranty and worrying :)

2. Don’t know if this helps or not.... I noticed if I plug in a battery bank ( the kind you use to charge you phone) into the USB hub in the tank bag to charge it up while riding. It turns the ignition on by back feeding the electrics. Also get a warning up on the dash for low battery (usb output is 5V).

3. I had exactly the same fault as you describe. Ignition turning on randomly when the key fob was well out of range. Required a new handsfree unit. One evening it caused the alarm other go off more than 10 times. Had to disable the alarm until it was fixed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Exactly what happened to me yesterday. Glasgow had the bike for a week. They couldn't diagnose the fault. I took the bike back after being told it's fixed, then mid corner it switched everything off! Dead bike, I almost went down :( had to be recovered and this time they said a new keyless unit required. Pretty unhappy tbh. Guys in glashow are great, but something needs to change in their process. Also, that's me 2 weeks with no bike! Back to one car family for 2 weeks. Some carry on. No courtesy bikes !

5. Sounds like either
    Ducati fucked up electronics or Demonic possession
    Why Ducati can't just use an ignition key I'll never know

6. Hi Helmet,
    Mine is a standard dvt 2017. Warranty expired last March and I've had all the faults you've just described. Little niggles to own a ducati they say, but now it's becoming to the point is actually unsafe as the bike cut out engine and all electrics yesterday night in the right lane of a motorway. I've been dealing with these "little niggles" as brake fluid leak, clutch slaver cylinder, exhaust valve, list goes on, but yesterday just lost completely the confidence. It is just not safe.
    I will create a thread and post a video. Wait for it, it is bloody scaring.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi Rover.

If you bike has full dealer service history speak with your dealer. Ducati have a good history in some cases similar to this of helping out with parts post warranty. You still have to pay for the dealers labour unfortunately.

I had the issue of cutting out and also the ignition switching on randomly together. The cutting out was diagnosed as the BBS unit and the ignition issue was the handsfree module. The problem with the handsfree module started with the steering lock not working.
    Hope this helps

8. Thanks Pompey.
    Just can't deal with this anymore.
    Too much "little niggles" for someone who Just want to enjoy riding.
    Back to jap bikes as soon as I can afford a change.

• WTF WTF x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information