1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Twin Spark Vertical Cylinder 2014

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Topbox, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Well its time for the the first belts and valve clearance check.

Not sure how I feel about DIY but if I did want to go that way I was looking at the side spark plug and top half belt cover for the vertical cylinder.

My question is this how the hell do you remove the side plug and take the top half belt cover off. It looks impossible without dropping the engine.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

TB

PS I've tried practicing strumming the horizontal belt with both the Gates app and the Gstring app and can't seem to get a reliable reading, which is putting a big question mark over tensioning the belts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Well done finding that link. So far I've taken off all the panel's, tank and radiator.

I've read the link and I keep looking at the plug and it still looks impossible:astonished::thinkingface:

Cheers
    TB

3. I hear you. Tedious at the least. The one guy recently added he removed the vertical hose which helped. My plan is to grind down a combination wrench (box end) to fit like the guy in that link did, and turn it a 12th of a turn at a time to get it out, use a hose on the end to turn it back in. Tighten by feel and turn count. I'm about to do my valve service, hell by the time you get all that's necessary off, one wonders how much more there is to just pull the engine LOL. Gonna carp my pants if it strips or breaks or something needing the head to come off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. from speaking to one of the mechanics at a dealers they remove the horizontal breather hose to get the belt cover off. That in itself is a b@stard to do, but it gives more room to get the belt cover off.
    They certainly didn't design it with ease of servicing in mind : unamused:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information