1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two stoke oil in your diesel tank...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 470four, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Read up on much fuss about modern diesel being "low-sulphur", mainly to please the tree-swimming dolphin huggers.

The trouble being sulphur acts as a lubricant in your diesel pump & injectors - a deficit of this will cause premature wear & tear to an expensive pump etc...

Was told by a few others adding two-stroke oil at 100to1 (10ml to a litre) to your tank would lube the pump, make the engine a lot smoother & have other benefits??

Having nothing to loose and a handy unused bottle of Comp2 I dually added said mix to my tank after filling up at the usual filling station. A week later - this afternoon I clicked through the computer menu's to check fuel left.

My average MPG had increased from 68 to 73.2! Hasnt been above 69 since I've had the car??

RESULT. :upyeah:

Try it - nowt to lose...

2. Been using it for a bit, went from 23.4 to 27.2 mpg ( Discovery TDV6 )

Noticed the engine was quieter too.

Apparently FB orFC spec are the ones to go for, FC being better than FB.

3. If you're getting an extra five mpg how much of that is offset by the price of a shot of two-stroke oil, 50 ml? Saving on the price of a new pump etc notwithstanding...range, reliability??? Curious, but can't be arsed to do the math...

4. Ah good! In a way the increased MPG pays for the oil... :smile:

5. I have upstairs waiting to be fitted a new cambelt kit & water pump for my car, it will be fitted as and when I can afford to buy a recon diesel pump, which will be fitted at the same time, being driven off the cambelt.

This pump will cost me £220 +/- and a long weekend to fit said parts, hopefully it will be drier weather than it is now. The car has done 104k, so it would be good engineering practice to replace it whilst I am in there.

I keep getting low rail pressure warnings under sustained acceleration/overtaking etc, indicating the pump is knacked anyways...

This is indeed both time & money I would rather be spending on my bike, on my bike! :upyeah: A little preventative maintenance goes a long way - easier to fix it before it gets broken.

6. I guess that's longhand for cheaper in the long run then :upyeah: Result

7. Indeed! 200ml in 20 litres aint going to cost much... fuel is expensive anyways, always tickles me when I get impressed with a few extra MPG in the car - then get on the bike & give it BIG throttle! Lol!

8. You will trying out Castrol R next.......

AL.

9. Got to sort out where to put my tax disc first... :upyeah:

10. i will give a go in my race van, 2.8 diesel renault eats juice
    :upyeah:

11. No harm in trying! Will make it smell nice too... :biggrin:

12. latest medical reports show diesel causes cancer, maybe some health cross subsidies to lower the price of petrol are in order

13. +1 on the whole lot being too damn expensive anyways... did see unleaded for £1.29 yesterday though?

I still get shot in the ass - diesel goes in the car, 99ron super unleaded goes in the bike (but thats another thread:biggrin:) so either way I pay through the nose...

14. actually diesel and petrol are quite cheap, its the rediculous taxes levied on them that make up the bulk of the price

15. Years ago my farther had a petrol station he used to make 3 pence a gallon selling it. Says the only reason he continued with it was for the breakdowns he got when people were filling up . But you are right about the Tax . The government go on about the greedy oil companies and then ad 80% Tax ,or there abouts , They like to keep the actual % a secret but its up there somewhere . If the government wern`t taxing it it would be about 40 pence a liter.

16. Was living in Maine, USA, two years back - everybody was panicking about gas prices at the time! It had gone up to a 5 year high of 33p a litre... we get shafted in this country. :mad:

17. You still have to pay the taxes on something unfortunately, none of us likes taxes, but we all like the nice man with the ambulance who picks us up if we have a problem and we sure as hell all love the "free" medical care that we get. I actually think that taxes on fuel are quite fair really because they are one of the few taxes where we actually get taxed on what we use and it is quite difficult to avoid, not many taxes like that these days.

18. It reasonably easy to avoid paying fuel tax............ just buy diesel from little back street operations or simply use red diesel. shafted is the word, all the tax goes on paying people who have little to contribute to this country. Anything to cut costs and leave more profit for cranker V2 Ltd is a bonus.

K2 and 2 stroke oil. Love em.

19. Untill the garage spots the red dye in the fuel filter, or, your reported by a well doer. Then your car is taken and crushed ... Plus a nice big fine.

20. Why would anyone be daft enough to let a garage play with the fuel filter? Anyway, it's illegal so it should not be done. Remember, we voted in the law makers and and they act upon our behalf to introduce laws for the common good. One thing thats gets me going is buses - empty effin buses. Petrol should be used on em. Copious amounts.Then englands finest........... I effin hate buses.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information