1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Tyre Choice

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by West Cork Paul, Sep 12, 2018.

1. This will probably open up a can of worms but suggestions as to the most suitable tyres for my 99MY 748 will be gratefully received.

It was (still is) shod with Pirelli Dragon MTR02s which have been on there since it was first registered. I like to keep it as original as possible ;) but I do recognise that they are now 19 years old and quite possibly not up to doing their job as effectively these days :cold_sweat:.

I won't be doing any track days on it and it will only be used when the weather is fine. I'm not up to speed with current tyre technology or vogue hence the request for some guidance. TIA.

2. Very happy with my Metzeler M7RR
    Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I went for the new pilot power rs on my 748r and I absolutely love them

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Pirelli Rosso III

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Dont take it the wrong way but, dont ask, find out for yourself...case in point, Birdie likes his m7rr's, i found them damn near dangerous and took them off my RSV4 after 200 miles, they continued to be shit on my z1000....but thats my opinion...best bang for the buck so far for me were pilot 2's on my Hyper...cheap and grippy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. What im getting at is, ive read so many tyre reviews and i think they talk bollocks for most of them....after the m7rr debacle (read the reviews, bought the tyres) and for me they were shit. So, now, i get a different set of tyres each time and if theyre good, make a mental note....supercorsas are the bar at the moment....ill be trying michelin power sports next...

7. Not taken the wrong way and thanks. I just want to solicit opinions to get a consensus. It's a bit pricey to keep chopping and changing them. I don't do that many miles (3000 in 19 years :() so I'm not too fussed about longevity, just something that can cope with the shite roads in rural Ireland, is sticky enough but not too track focused.

8. supercorsas are probably more track focused aren't they?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pirelli Rosso 3. But if you want a cheaper alternative that will do it all then check out the Metzeler Z8. Listed as a sports touring tyre but it's more sport than touring.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I have Michellin Pilot Road 4s and love them. Excellent wear and grip in all conditions

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. They are but, i only use my rsv in the summer months. As i say, for me theyre the best ive used yet and give the most feedback. I dont use the bike much so for that reason it gets them...ive used the thing like a normal bike id have to remortgage the house...!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Cool - if ever i say that people assume im getting a bit confrontational.... if you do that fewer miles i would say, the rosso corsa III's ( i think theyre called ) - ive currently got these on my rsv at the moment and only because i called the local tyre place for a price on them but, for whatever reason they ordered them so i thought, what the hell and stuck them on...good, but not as good as the supercorsa but, theyve got more of a tread pattern than the sc's....

Again - just my opinion...if youre dry weather only then id say go for the supercorsa's...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information