1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Growth And Sa Clearence

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Cream_Revenge, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Morning

How much do tyres "grow" at speed? And how much clearance should there be between the SA/hugger and tyre at rest?

Cheers

CR

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. Depends on speed, temperature, pressure...

I put a 180/60 on my M1100 once for a Trackday. There was visible clearance between tyre and hugger (5mm ish) but it wore through the hugger.

3. I always work on the theory if you can get a tyre warmer round it on the bike it will be ok.

• Like Like x 1
  4. will you be testing any hugger clearance on the road today R?

5. Just going to Bury....h-ot!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Going to jump to a conclusion. These sticking up bits, what's the point? Maybe they indicate tyre growth at speed? So I need to make sure they don't touch anywhere when the wheel rotates?

Anyway, going to put the old smaller rear sprocket on till I get a longer chain.

14977826471511080709994.jpg 1497782671655-1467133628.jpg

7. Just mould marks aren't they? Cool idea if that's why tho :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. IMAG1490.jpg IMAG1491.jpg Differences between a 36T and 38T rear sprocket.

9. 38 probably work better anyway :upyeah:

10. No. It was originally 36, I changed to 38 last year but it means front wheel really close to SA, further forward. So I've now had to go back to 36 for 180/55 to fit. What I need is +2 links in the chain so I can fit the 38 again, may go 39 if I'm buying new CnS.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Or change the front sprocket. Cheaper and I may even have one laying around in spares somewhere that will fit off another Ducati . What front are you running @Cream_Revenge ?

12. They are from the moulding process.

13. Need to check but think front is 15. Was thinking on my ride I could go 14 front and +1 (37) on rear. Need to get on gearingcommander.

14. The horizontal obviously are, but why the little spiky bits?

15. Front is 15. Will go 14/37 if gearing commander works out......

16. Yes, vents for the air to escape the mould, which fill up with rubber. They will usually be all different lengths.
    The standard bikes will be manufactured with the correct calculated gap + a saferty factor of about 3 to 5mm so use that as a guide.

17. Why not leave the rear as the std size and just throw a 14t on there. Will be slightly shorter than what you had anyway :)

#17 bradders, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  18. So what they should do is trim them to the length that the tyre expands to at its maximum rated speed. Therefore you would know of your clearance is ok.

Anyone know the number for Dragon Den???
    Don't like even/even. Like an odd as it stops the same tooth hitting the same sprocket so often so spreading wear.

19. Shut up, I'm out :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information