1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Help, Track Pressures

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Carsonride848, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Hi all, looking for some help and advice please... probably covered loads but struggling to find the info...

Just getting into track days and have been gifted some tyre warmers and paddock stands... what pressures should I be looking to to maintain through the day?

using my 848 with pilot power 3’s with 31 psi in the front and 28 in the rear cold which I check at the start of the day but how do I know whether they are getting too hot etc. obviously once these heat up and go in the warmers, I know the pressures increase but the next bit of maintenance is confusing me... how do I know what way to alter the pressures?? If at all... I was running at snetterton this week and the fronts went up to 36 and the rear to 34 psi... had some good heat in the tyres but it all got too confusing whether I needed to change anything

also looking to swap out the pilot power 3’s but can’t decide on the next tyre, looking at the Rosso Corsa 2 or any other recommendations... mainly for fast riding and a few track days a year...

2. Typically you would warm the tyres for at least 45 minutes, then adjust the pressure to the recommended hot temps before going out for the first session. At the end of the session the first thing you do is check the pressures, and adjust if necessary to the recommended hot temp. Back in the warmers, out again for the next session (don’t bother checking pressures on the way out) and then check again at the end of the second session.

3. This sounds good...

The tyres I am running only seem to advise cold pressures only... so I checked them before going in the warmers then was a bit lost from there

I know I could be over thinking but this was on Tuesday where temps were high 20’s

4. At this level the ambient and track temperatures don’t make much difference. The key is making sure the tyre itself is at the correct operating temperature for the portion of the session during which you’re pushing on. That would normally be the latter part, hence checking the pressures as soon as you come back in, rather than before going out.

5. Ok wicked,

So set cold pressures, let tyre heat up and then check pressures... thereafter check on way in and adjust back to the hot temps

6. Set hot not cold.

General rule of thumb for most tyres (not slicks or some Dunlop track tyres) 31/28 good starting but that’s after 45 min on the warmers. If you can be arsed, check as soon as you come in and if they are way up let some pressure out, of down add some pressure in.

7. ^ what Bradders said.

If it a cool day and you’re a novice then they will probably cool down whilst you are out riding so check the pressures as soon as you Get back in and adjust as necessary.

likewise if they get hot the pressure will go up so let some out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ok perfect cheers guys!! Will give it a try next time out!! just got to get a date in now!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information