1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Tyre Hugger - Does It Actually Help With Spray?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by freshage, Sep 30, 2020.

1. I know I can test my self, but I don't fancy running out and about in the rain to get my jollies off.

I recently installed the Evotech tail tidy (awesome kit!), and the last few steps were to remove the tyre hugger. Of which I did, I did the same on my old 1200 multi but this time around, I've a wife, and we went for a ride this morning and ended up venturing down some very mucky farmer lanes and the top box and the wife got sprayed by all the muck. I didn't think the rear tyre hugger stopped so much.

Naturally I'd rather have it off as it looks like arse, so I'm curious, what are peoples thoughts? I might slap it on for the wetter winter months to help if it really does the job well.

Lastly, confirmed with Garry at Evotech, it's purely cosmetic in terms of their suggestion to remove it, it does not rub against the plate with the tail tidy installed.

2. So, 8 years in and 40,000 miles in all weathers, the ‘crud catcher’ is aptly named. Like it or loath it, it serves a purpose. I have a Fullsix, long rear hugger and the crud catcher fitted and the rear of the bike (and my top box) get dirty. Without the crud catcher, the bike gets filthy. IMO, if I have understood your comment correctly, Gary at Evotech is talking bollocks. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. He was stating that with the install instructions stating to remove it, it's purely for a cosmetic reason to remove it. As in, if you wish to leave it on with the tail tidy then it's fine. He wasn't stating it doesn't have function. That was my question.

It seems you've answered though! Good to know, I didn't think it had that much of an impact but I'll stick it on for the wetter months then.

4. Then I owe Gary an apology. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mine keeps muck off the rear suspension, but I still get spray from the rear wheel, only way would be to fit a full mudguard, No thanks.

6. Removing the rear tire hugger (or whatever we call that plastic thingy sticking out the back) is a huge suspension performance mod. Certainly not just cosmetic. It's free too. Eliminating that unsprung weight leverage is gynormous. The rear wheel will feel super responsive when removed.
    About the Tail Tidy:
    I've purchases a lot of Evotech products over the years including tail tidies. All quality products with no issues or regrets. Garry is amazing for service also. Notwithstanding, the EP tail tidy is not a good thing for the Multistrada in the big picture. It removes the last remaining piece to protect you from mud flying back assuming you also removed the mud guard. If you remove both the mud guard and install the EP tail tidy you got yourself a track bike not a road bike.
    On a road trip, you'll have to re-install the mud guard or your wife's jacket will have to take one for the team.

#6 DarR, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  7. I don’t like the look of the splash guard either, but having tried it on and off it certainly serves a purpose

Without it on, in poor weather the back of the bike and pillion if you have one will definitely get covered in crap

So for me, it’s a fit for purpose requirement and stays on I’m afraid

8. I took my hugger off about 10 years ago and it’s never been back on. Much cleaner look without IMO.
    And they don’t do much either. I’m currently running a V4S track bike (I know, not the same as road bike in shite weather) with a stubby (3”) hugger that protects the rear shock.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Have you tried fitting a pillion to keep the mud off your back?

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. If you are talking about that monstrosity that sticks out behind the tyre ? It was the very first thing I ripped off and it will not be going back on. I've had bikes before that threw spray up, I will do what I did then, clean all the crap off when I get home. I pretty much strip the bike anyway if it gets minging, which is why I avoid letting it get so as much as possible :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

11. So you can feel the difference when the guard is on or off , can you elaborate please

Also it stops a fair amount of shit on you and your bike , or it did when I tried it

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information