1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Life

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Andy800, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Hello all
    How does one know when ones tyres are fooked
    Done 3 track days on a set now, last session out today I felt the back end slip, long right hander on the gas pretty hard, not sure if it was something on the track or my tyres passed their best.
    Not running tyre warmers
    Cheers

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. In my experience ( not track related ) they are fooked when you can afford new ones...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Shut it Exige. ..
    ( sorry andy)

4. I would say fooked.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. In seriousness, do they not have depth markers? Grey area to me ... and could they also be fooled by heat cycles as well as wear?
    Not answering your question at all ...

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I'm sure a certain fountain of all knowledge will be along shortly who shouldn't ever be disagreed with.....:eyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. I've already been dude!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love You Love You x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. By not running tyre warmers in between track sessions, you are heat cycling (cold, hot, cold) the tyre and it is that cycling which shortens the life of a tyre on track. 3 track days is what for you, 18 to 20x20 minute sessions, 3 to 400 miles on what tyres ? Something like a Super Corsa will most definitely be towards the end of its life but something like the Conti track attack or the Bridgestone S, probably got a bit more life in it but not much. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. ^ I pretty much said that...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. Thanks guys. I’ll get some new rubber :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tyres are cheap(ish) , bikes aint.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. End off day normally means trying harder. Could be simply the balance between grip and enthusiasm was out of kilter.

But, if its in your mind, probably best to change it

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BTW desmodue racers will get half a season out of a set of tyres, so about 3 or 4 race weekends. No warmers, road tyres, 50-65hp, tyre get very abused for small cc bike

14. The tyres are Michelin Power RS. They've had 3 days at Cadwell so the best part of 6 hours being ridden hard (not as hard as some), the weather on all 3 days has been hot so they have been out in the sun. I think I've had my use out of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. What a coincidence, I had exactly the same yesterday at Donington with the same tyre, on there 3rd track day also, previous one was at a grippy Silverstone on the national circuit and the lhs took a hammering at luffield. Every time I started to push yesterday I felt the back end moving, had me out the seat on one occasion, tyre near the wear markers so I would not expect such a drop in grip especially after following @Nelson around Silverstone when he was riding on canvas. May have been the very high track temps yesterday, my mate I was with had a tyre temp gauge and my rear tyre was 65 degrees straight after a session and that was noticeably higher than the other 3 lads who were with us.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Bear in mind heat may make tracks feel a little greasy too

17. On my 999 with power RS the rear completly fell apart from to high pressure on track. Even on the road with losing pressure I can tear it.

18. Just unloading van so a couple of pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

19. Looks fine in those pics (can’t tell if first pic is cold tearing). Suspect just overloaded heat wise and going a bit quicker meant tyre took too much pressure increase

Do Not Sell My Personal Information