1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Pressures And Recommend Somewhere To Set Up Suspension

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by Bonesy, May 3, 2018.

1. Hi guys

This may have been covered but looking at what tyre pressures people are running? (Road use). Also anyone recommend where to get suspension set up. Loving the bike but sometimes feel could do with a different setup. Not being any kinda expert would like to get it done before trip to TT.
    Thanks

2. I am running the tyre pressures that Ducati and Pirelli recommend, they probably did plenty of research into the optimum pressures for road use and I cannot see me or anyone else knowing any better.
    I think that suspension can be set up yourself with the help of the internet, the sag (spring pre-load) is easy, and the compression and rebound damping is very much down to personal preference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. What do you weigh? if you are 80-85kg then the stock springs are usually ok and it will just benefit from a setup. If you are outside of this range then it's worth thinking about a spring change.

Recommended tyre pressures are aimed at the average rider that is using the bike in a 'socially acceptable' manner ( :) ). If you are riding hard then the recommended pressures are normally too high on the rear in particular. It also depends on what tyres you are using. The best way to check if you are running the right pressures is simply to take a mini pressure gauge and check them when hot; if the pressure is rising several psi or more from what you expect then they are probably set too high to start with.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks weight is 80/85kgs so stock springs should be ok. Tyre pressure on frame says 36 front & rear..just done them to that so will see how things go....always “socially acceptable” me

5. Thanks i’ll look them up

6. Note that Ducati and Pirelli give you cold tyre pressures, they know that the pressure goes up with heat and I would expect them to have taken that into account when quoting a pressure.
    If you decide to try and work out what the hot pressure should be then you will need a reference pressure, I should think that tyre manufacturers would know what this reference pressure should be, doubt if they would tell you though.
    Anyone who tells you to up them or lower them by 2 psi must be a feckin riding god to feel the difference.

7. In which case, bob, why do they often quote 42psi for a rear tyre?! And does anyone actually run at 42psi?

• Like Like x 2
  8. We all must be riding gods then Bob ;) If your tyres are a couple of psi over and get hot then it can easily be the difference between them remaining stable and over heating and going skyhigh. It's fortunate that Pirelli are usually a little flexible in this regard.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information