1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Repair Kits Comparison

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Topbox, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Fortunately I've never had to repair a puncture while touring (although the AA failed to fix one in the UK once).

I used to carry the String type https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emergenc...810431?hash=item4b5d890e7f:g:udYAAOSwyUpcYrFw but more recently I've been carrying the button head / Mushroom type as it looks easier to use. https://biketyresleeds.com/stop-n-g...l-p-123.html?sesid=tpgkc9aacsj54ja97497ila2e7.

Now that its time for a new tyre I thought I'd test them out again on the tyre coming off. I've practised with the Button head twice before and each time it leaked and I've also practised with the string type previously but the hole was just too big. So today I thought I'd try them both again.

The string type needs quite a lot of reaming out to be able to get the doubled up string in the tyre ( it takes quite a bit of effort) but with plenty of galvanising glue once it was in then it was sealed no leaks.

The button head type has a better reamer and is easier to use. Although the kit does not include galvanising glue, in view of what happened the 2 times I practiced previously this time I thought I'd apply plenty of glue. Guess what this time it sealed, no leaks.

So amazingly they both work but the essential ingredient seems to be the glue, so pack some glue with your repair kit.

Today I did not inflate the tyres with the cannisters I used my compressor. BUT, I learned at WDW (what a wonderful event) that the canisters have CO2 in them and CO2 has smaller molecules than air. As a result you can expect your tyre to gradually deflate with CO2. So after CO2 inflation the recommendation is to get to a compressor ASAP and replace CO2 with proper air.

Hope this helps

TB

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Last year my mate on a GS adventure heavy guy too got a part of a rawlbolt in his tyre making a slot see pic of bit pulled out. The AA guy had a kit I have never seen. It was like a small gun.The plugs were square with centre cut out. He attached them to the front of the pistol & stretched the plug back to a clip which hooked it on. Then pushed it into the tyre & pulled the trigger letting the protruding half go. With adhesive on it. He actually got 4 in side by side. It got him from Holme on spalding moor back to Scholes to tyre shop for new tyere 20180712_114214.jpg 20180712_121734.jpg . Amazing bit of kit. A good 35miles.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information