1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Test

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by J biker, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Mmm, that link doesn't work for me and googling conti bike has a hit but that doesn't work either. Andy

2. Woks for me:
    Motorrad’s team of seasoned experts put six major manufacturers to the test in a series of dry and wet tests, and the overall scores published on 26th May 2017 were as follows:

1. Continental – ContiRoadAttack 3 – 231/250
    2. Metzeler – Roadtec 01 – 228/250
    3. Pirelli – Angel GT – 227/250
    4. Michelin – Pilot Road 4 – 222/250
    5. Dunlop – RoadSmart III – 221/250
    6. Bridgestone – T30 EVO – 214/250

3. Link works with Google chrome but not Safari for me.

4. I'm 1000 miles in to a set of Roadtec 01s on my 1190. Currently charging round Wales's finest roads on it.
    So far, very good indeed. The ride doesn't feel quite as compliant as it did with the old Trail Attacks. There is a hint of choppiness at the front end and they have a slight tendency to tramline on poor surfaces but the steering is light and flickable, grip is superb wet or dry and they feel so much more secure on the edge on the tyre than the dual-purpose Contis did. They warm up very quickly too and feel trustworthy from the word go without that initial cold woodenness that you get with some tyres (mentioning no names, Dunlop).

I would say the profile is at the sportier end of the touring tyre sector but they wouldn't be my choice as a day-to-day tyre on a sports bike or Supernaked because I prefer something that turns faster and allows more lean. Having said that they're far from bad in those respects and for an adventure bike on tour in mixed conditions on unknown roads they're excellent. They've yet to trouble the bike's lean-sensitive electronics when meeting sheep/locals on wet mountain roads and in the dry you can push down to the pegs without a twitch.

Results are not in yet on longevity and tendency to square and I hope to put in another 1000 miles before I get home so we shall see but indications so far are good. Next thing is to experiment with pressures to see if I can smooth the ride a little.
    I'm limited in tyre choice on this bike by the 19" front wheel. I'll have to decide whether to give the Roadsmart IIIs a try. I bet they give a nice ride but I'm dubious about the slow-warming/quick-cooling tendencies of Dunlops, especially on start/stop touring in changeable conditions.

5. Okay, thanks. That'll be my problem then. Apple :mad:. Andy

6. @Gimlet, I ran Roadsmart3 on my GS, also due toe weird adventure bike wheel sizes.

better than Road 4s IMO and not puncture prone. Superb wet or dry. Surprised a few bikes in the Pyrenees! Took a bit scrubbing in. needed a bit more warming up time than Michelins, but only talking a few corners ... worth a punt.

7. Link works for me-Apple/safari.

8. Got my GT booked in for Road attack 3s this weekend. Will hopefully be able to give a review soon when I get back from this years euro hoon. ;)

9. I'll stick with my metzeler roadtec-01 for now.

10. I'm sure they are superb, as are other lower scoring tyres in the test. ;)

Its interesting though reading the various reports and supposed 'independent reviews' out there. In particular look at bikes used, test conditions etc. Have seen one test where they specifically used FJR1300s. Not exactly a light weight tourer! Also the MCN2016 touring tyre test that scored the Metzler 01s top where Neaves used an R1200S bmw, in 'rain mode'. Bit of an odd setting for a serious test..

''Even more significant is the result obtained by METZELER in the sport touring tyre comparative test, where the German-born brand achieved the top spot in the standings with the new ROADTEC™ 01, just introduced on the market, and second place with ROADTEC™ Z8 INTERACT™.
    In this case the test was conducted on surrounding roads around the MotorLand Aragón circuit using a 2015 BMW *R1200RS with ‘Rain’ mode throttle*, TC, ABS and semi-active suspension with tyres in 120/70 - 17 front and 180/55 - 17 rear sizes.''

Now IMO, running in Rain mode can only be to tilt the test result in favour of a specific tyre. Maybe I am just bit sceptical of the press. No doubt the tyre is superb, but that (*) its just plain odd.

11. I've just realised what my choppy front end might be. I blamed the tyre but I'd better check the front fork alignment. A tyre-fitter put the tyres on the rim but I refitted the front wheel myself. I followed my usual front wheel spindle tightening sequence and I've never ever had a problem before, but this being a new bike to me I'd better slack the pinch bolts off and give it a bounce. Did it on fitting but I better check again.
    If that's all that slight chop turns out to be I'll probably be sticking with the 01s as well for the 1190. Assuming they last well (because they're not cheap) I'm more than happy with them.
    I'd love to try the Conti Road Attacks but I can't get them in my size. That bloody 19" front wheel again.

12. Just got my Contis fitted this morning, last minute job as board the ferry this afternoon for Euro jolly. Way to early for real feedback but they feel nice and neutral, neither tip in fast or need effort to turn. Pretty much on to the last few mm of tyre with a steady(ish) ride back from town about 25miles away. Should be able to give some proper feedback soon ;)

13. Now in Italy and the Contis are outstanding wet and dry. Waiting to see wear at end but looking good.
    Feel better than Angel gt ANd m7rr for road use. Been some quick riding and it takes abuse to make them slide. Could be my new automatic tyre choice..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information