1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Thoughts After A Snetterton Spill....

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Lyndon, Jun 1, 2018.

1. CD59C244-23CB-4F67-AC5F-317FE6EF79BE.jpeg 1B9ACA8F-BF98-4D1D-A68B-8F7C177F67D8.jpeg 48D49B31-21D5-463B-B651-94D37DB497AA.jpeg AAB94C27-5799-4DAB-83C2-EE051562A857.jpeg interested on peoples thoughts with regards to some tyre wear and a low side at snetterton.

So Naively I decided to do two days at snetterton on some road tyres, things seemed ok pace got quicker and quicker until bike slipped from out below me. Felt more rear or both together rather than losing front end.

I was on Bridgestone s20’s and usually run supercorsas.
    Accident occurred out of hairpin, 2nd corner on track.
    I can also attribute maybe getting on the gas too early and rider error etc just wondered what you guys thought.

I’m not blaming the tyre but just think maybe stick with track rubber when on track...

Cheers Lyndon

2. Sorry to hear of your off. I had the same at Donington. Several guys looked at my tyres and thought they were cooked.
    A guy who's opinion I value had a look at them last week and said they have suffered too many heat cycles. In retrospect I wish I'd have changed tyres before my first outing
    The wear pattern on my front which washed out looked like your second pic but much worse. Both my tyres on the edge look like the rainbow that appears when you drop a bit of oil in water.
    If you are gassing it that hard I'd look at switching to a more track based tyre

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ron Haslam race school at donington use Dunlop road on their bikes without any detrimental effects.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yep very true....

5. Look a bit hard wearing to me.

6. Tyres are like blokes... one thing at once the minute you fully ask for two something will let go.. ie braking and cornering or cornering and accelerating....
    tyre grip trade off = operator error I’m afraid

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oh the dact they are hard compound doesn’t help..

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ye live and learn for sure

9. Front or rear low Side? On off off gas? On or off brakes? Max lean angle or mid transition? What group? What pace?

Sticky tyres allow liberties that more road focussed ones don’t.

10. Hi Bradders,

So I’d say rear, but felt like both real quick (happened so fast) coming out of turn picking bike up, on gas, top end of inters, pace 2:15-2:20 which was getting quick for me lol not in comparison to someone fast

11. I’d say at that pace the tyres would be fine. So it’s either track conditions, user error or set up/pressures. Is quite a slow corner, and if either the tyre is a bit cold (warmers?) or you run a but wide (camber changes) or you are just a bit slower with max lean angle the rear can just slide out.

Btw I have done exactly that at the Melbourne loop when going for a knee down shot for the camera...crappy tyres, lower speed than normal and an agressive turn just washed the rear away as there wasn’t enough weight over it (in mine and a couple of spectators view). Slicks (or track rubber generally) are less likley, if hot, to do that. Easy done, hope not too much damage and pain :confused::upyeah:

12. F8DC6469-119F-4CD5-8355-9C618825C50A.jpeg C592C9E1-FC29-46CB-930A-E616D96D4A36.jpeg
    Thanks all makes sense, tyres would of been hot but I think probably rider error and out wide, also I’ve just realised I turned all of the traction control off in my mis understanding of the manual so that probably didn’t help, bikes not too bad crash protection did its thing and carbon heat shield and lever guards took the rest

• Like Like x 1
  13. and after a 'accident' the most common phrase is ....all of a sudden or it all happened so fast....:upyeah:;) but your right live and learn we have all been there...

14. Looks like hardly anything there :upyeah:

Doubt it was anything to do with TC, if it was you’d have been 20ft in the air then probably a few thousand feet in the air on the way to Norwich infirmary :mask::dizzy:

• Like Like x 1
  15. i'm no expert but it looks like you ran off edge of tyres, the front looks worn right to the edges...normally they still have a strip on them even when rear shows use all the way to the edge. I have had instructors tell me that i am close to doing this due to my style (or lack of it)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. From what I can see much more riders crash in slower corners...not enough weight on the tyres.
    I tend to have much more movement especially on front in slower turns, hairpins as compared to long sweepening corners.

I am actually surprised you rode all day with the TC off a 200hp bike, that could have easily ended up in a "big style" highside...brave man :)
    Bridgestone S20's are not touring tyres, although not supercorsa level of grip on a hot track..I would say more than adequate even for mid- fast group.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Watching anything that refers to Dave Moss's advice can only help...

Tire and suspension setup guru...great info on how to 'read' tires.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information