1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Wear Indicators / Wear Profile / Mot

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Snips, Aug 2, 2021.

1. I have the original Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tyres on my 959.

The bike has done 3500 miles, and is coming up for its first MOT.

The tyres are nowhere near their wear indicators, but the centre is flattened off, to the point that if I look really close with my phone torch, I can just begin to see traces of the tyre thread lines just below the rubber in the centre.

I once got caught out on the Isle of Man, when the thread actually did show through on my Street Triple, as I'd relied on the wear indicators, which were still untouched after 8000 miles(!).

Now, I totally admit, I'm a cautious rider, and don't scratch it on the public roads, but I have done a couple of track days - where I am also a cautious rider :blush:

However, it beats me how anyone would get to wear down the markers before the centre of the tyre just riding on public roads, unless you never leave roundabouts.

I guess I'm ready for new tyres, but would the current tyres pass MOT in the state I've described, so long as the thread isn't actually showing through?

Cheers.

2. No. If you can see the wire under what’s left of the rubber you gonna need replacements.
    Cheers

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Not the first time I’ve seen (or heard of) the steel appearing in the centre of the tyre and IMO, after 3500 miles on Rosso Corsas, I’m not surprised. You do very occasionally get a duff tyre compound but given the higher than expected mileage that sort of tyre would normally last for, if you want to look for a reason, my first port of call would be tyre pressure which IMO, has been too high. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Cheers guys. Just ordered some M9 RRs, and booked the MOT.

5. If the previous generation M7RR wear on my 1200 Multistrada is anything to go by, absolute maximum 2500 miles out of the rear :joy: Enjoy :upyeah: Andy

6. I've got 4000 miles out of the M7RRs on my Street Triple, but again, I'm a pretty wimpy rider.

7. :thinkingface::p:joy::D. I remember a fair while ago, Pirelli did a special road edition Super Corsa BSB, that lasted 800 miles on my 748R. Andy

8. Legally Minimum tread depth is 1mm and it must be continuous over 75% of the tyre. Can’t say I leave the tread to get down to that level, here in London you will get a puncture with that tread level.

9. The thing is, where there is tread, there is plenty of depth, but that middle strip has no tread, and that's the section that wears out long before the sides.

10. What pressure are you using ? Andy

11. It varies a bit, but lets say mostly 34 psi.

12. Anyone ran Pilot Cup 2's on a 1299? I generally get about 2k on SC's and I fancy a change. Matey has a set on his R1 and unless he's got better (he hasnt) then the tyres are helping him on the winchester gp roundabouts.

13. Owner’s manual says 36psi and under inflation tends to create hotter temperatures in the tyre which will significantly increase tyre pressure. Seems counter intuitive that correct cold pressure results in lower tyre temperatures. Given your own assessment of your riding style, I’d venture to suggest that is why you are seeing unusual tyre wear and I would run at least 36psi but maybe experiment with and extra psi or 2. It also pays to keep on top of your pressures by checking them regularly. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Wotcha looking for, a few more miles of life or better grip ? Andy

15. Not bothered about wear, but if they give more grip then that would be nice. :) But tbh, the SC's are pretty decent although I need to figure out why Im shitter on rh turns. (relatively speaking of course, im shit on all turns but heyho)

16. Most riders are better in one direction than the other, don’t sweat it. Bit of an off the wall suggestion, Metzeler Racetec RR K3 (endurance) which is road legal. Loved them on my 1098R. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Well, thats good to know. I edge my tyre on the left but cant get to less than 5mm on right. (all on road) When I do a track day I have no problems edging both, so maybe theres some in built mechanism making me cautious on rh turns.

18. Ah, that’s an easy one. How far to the left of your side of the road are you comfortable getting to when setting up for the bend ? Pound to a pinch of s**t you are not giving the bend enough room :D Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. You're prob spot on Andy. I do tend to try to avoid the kerb debris.

20. Less than 24 hours after I posted my question, I had some shiny new M9RRs in my garage, £249 for pair from Demon Tweeks. You have to see new tyres to realise how worn originals are.

I'll get dealer to fit them when bike is in for service and MOT.

I also promise to keep them at a high pressure ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information