1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Wear

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by J biker, May 26, 2017.

1. ..ok, ok another BUT different tyre thread.

been looking at the wear on my Angel GTs fitted to the superduke gt. Already on wear bars at 2500miles. fcuk knows what soft compound tyres would be like or how many sets it would have chewed through!

To be fair I have been getting used to the bike (full throttle acceleration, in the interest of making sure its run in you understand..) so have not been riding it very smooth. Anyhoo, its flattened off but also on the wear bars between middle and edge. Mostly off me gunning it out of corners with the TC light flashing :thinkingface:. So; found an article on tyre wear, quote following, and realised despite having the handling set up 'nice' that maybe the back is set a bit soft?
    ''The art of conserving a tire requires the rider take each of the aforementioned factors into account. Your suspension settings should be considered first: Spring rates that are too soft are perhaps the most punishing and allow the bike to sag as you accelerate out of the corner, putting increased pressure on the tire’s carcass. Overly soft suspension also allows the bike to pump through the corner, which loads and unloads the rear tire. In both cases, the stress on the tire’s carcass will build detrimental heat.''

Thoughts, (apart from go slower, less throttle!)?

2. It will wear more tyre because it will grip more, if that's what you mean :)

3. If you're riding it like that frequently (as you do..) you've done well to get 2500 miles. And if you're getting even wear across the tread width that profile probably suits your riding and other than sticking it in rain mode and riding like an old fart its hard to see how you could extract more value for money from your tyres.
    If you rag it at every opportunity on M7s or a Supercorsas etc you'll be lucky to see 1500 miles. I get 2000 from a rear M&RR on my Superduke by making a conscious effort not to waste tyre rubber with things like pointless straightlining when I'm out with mates or making needlessly aggressive overtakes out of boredom when traffic is heavy and I avoid motorways and dual-carriageways like the plague. Flatting off is the danger with sports tyres because they're a much sharper profile to begin with and once scalped they're ruined and that's a constant hazard with general road riding on a powerful bike.
    You will eat tyres on bikes like these because you're not going to ride slowly otherwise you'd have bought something else, and if you fit hard-wearing/low grip tyres you're going to overwhelm them and stuff it. So you just have to be disciplined I guess, and accept that you'll never get high miles from a tyre so make sure they're quality miles but it sounds like you're doing that already.

I have heard good things about Conti Sport Attack IIIs on the Superduke. Not the most aggressive and easily trashed profile but excellent dry grip and feel. I'd be surprised if you'd get more miles out of those than you're getting from the Angel GTs but if you can get comparable mileage from a quicker profile that's worth having. Don't know what they're like in the wet.

#3 Gimlet, May 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2017
  4. I agree with what Gimlet said. I expect to get 1500-2000 miles out of a set of tyres. Any powerful hooligan machine that does skids and wheelies is about the same I find regardless of the class. I was hoping I'd save a few quid racing the Yamaha R6 but it goes through nearly as much rubber as the Panigale.

5. Just put M7rr on today. Very nice. Scrubbed in and just a barely noticeable amount of tyre left to the edge. Positive the Hartside road was designed for scrubbing in tyres ;) Decided to have some fun before my trip! Then probably fit Roadsmart 3 for going away, just have to compromise. Think they have a slightly nicer profile than the Angel GT. Worked well on the GSlc, just need a bit heat in them, and I cant cope with tyres on the cords by the time we are heading home. My nerves wont take it.:eek: and yes, I need the to moderate the throttle hand a bit too.

6. BTW been some threads on S1r forum about tyre wear. Convinced some folks just roll around at under fifty everywhere. Once people say they are getting in excess of 3k on soft compound Pirellis you have to think they bought the wrong bike.

7. Nothing beats nice new rubber!

New rubber.jpg

8. I used to get 3000 out of a rear M7RR on the SMT but that's 50 bhp and 30 lb/ft of torque down on the 1290.
    Interestingly though, I'd get through only 1.5 rear tyres to one front on the SMT whereas on the Superduke its nearer three. OK the Duke is a lot more powerful but the SMT's front always got more of a scrubbing. It wasn't simply that the rear was wearing less quickly on the SMT, more that the front was getting worked harder than it does on the Superduke. Could be the increased weight transfer of long-travel suspension but I bet much of it is to do with geometry. And probably aerodynamics against speed.
    When the Superduke had a suspension set-up the guy who did it said it was sitting lower at the back than the front and there wan't enough loading on the front wheel. He wound in rear preload until he'd tipped the balance the other way and lifted the rear higher than the front but it was only by 1 mm. He said he would have liked to have raised it more but he didn't want to take any more length out of the spring.

My Streetfighter which runs M7RRs as well gets slightly better rear tyre mileage than the Superduke though it makes the same bhp and is only 10 lb down on torque. It uses only two rears to one front. That bike has had a full suspension upgrade with Ohlins and K-Tech and sits much more like a sports bike.
    If I had the money I'd love to give the Superduke the same treatment.

9. It's basically because you are doing wheelies. Everywhere :)

10. These are getting good reviews but cant find anyone who has used them;

Conti road attack 3

anyone?

11. Haven't tried them myself but I know someone who has them on a Superduke and loves them. He's used them on track as well and says they're a big improvement on the OE Dunlop, very grippy and confidence inspiring. Don't last any longer than M7s though and they look to be a slightly slower profile.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Current flavour of the month. Was at Almeria week before last and the Conti Attack was the supplied tyre of choice. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Ha, exactly what i do every time i new tyres get fitted, straight up Hartside! :upyeah:

14. was it Sports Attack? Or road Attack? (tyres give me a headache)

15. Am sure it's the sport attack they use on css bikes

16. Sport attack the m7rr type tyre. Road attack more pilot road 4 (without millions of sypes!)

17. Been in Barcelona for week since then, how am I supposed to remember that ? I'm guessing the equivalent to the Supercorsa SP or SC and the Racetech will be the Sports Attack. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information