1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyres Trivia, Avon Storm 3d X-m

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Topbox, Jul 9, 2018.

1. So I'm just getting ready to ride down to WDW and thought the Pirelli Scorpion Trail wouldn't make it so I've fitted a rear Storm 3D XM. It seems to me that they've got the Extra Mileage from extra rubber which makes the diameter bigger. How do I know this?

Well, after i Fitted the wheel back on (using centre stand) the tyre scraped the floor which the Pirelli didn't AND when I went out for a ride just to check some other stuff I've fitted stayed bolted on the speedo and sat nav now match, which with the Pirelli the speedo was about 4/5 % faster than the sat nav.

Yes I know, trivia doesn't get more exciting that that :bucktooth::bucktooth:

TB:)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Funny that , i had noted that my Speedo was now exactly in line with the speed monitor checky things in 30 and 40 zones and also my sat nav since fitting same tyres :upyeah:
    I hadn’t even thought about it TBH , well done :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Got 3d storms on my z1ooo at the moment...ive gotta say im impressed...not the grippiest of tyre but not bad either...veey predicatable though....longest tyre i ever owned on any bike ever....im up to 4k at the moment and ill be seeing the tread limiter soon on the front. So if anyone wants a good allrounder or touring tyre theyre brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yep I’m well chuffed with them too. I ain’t no Márquez and never will be. The tyres are sticky enough for me and are wearing well so far.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I've got a pair arriving tomorrow, ready for when my Scorpions wear out.

6. I am interested to know more about your comment 'not the grippiest tyre' can you expand on that a bit? Cheers

7. Yep. if your pushing it out of a roundabout and get the gas on early it can step out but, it is predictable....on the flipside when really hot like today they do feel good. just to add i reckon the rear is just squaring off and ive got ( from the wear so far ) about 2k left...

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. Cheers. What pressures do you run them at?

9. About 33 front and rear. My zed is my go to bike...use it all the time. For that job theyre brilliant.

10. I was forgetting you are running them on your Zed when I asked that question! Thanks anyway. I had the older Storms on my old XJR1300 and they were great, that's why I thought I would give them a try on the Multi

11. I wouldnt hesitate....give them a try...after all theyre maxxis budget...

12. Indeed! I do between 8 and 10,000 miles a year which roughly equates to two sets of most of the tyres out there, and that including fitting is the best part of £500. Whereas with the Avon's at £145 plus fitting I should only need one, or one and a bit (so to speak) sets. Add in that as said that they are a decent tyre and also Avon will even replace the tyre should it become unrepairable within the first 1mm of it's life, what's not to like!

13. Well, its funny you should say that but i never got them out of choice....my mate had them to start with and copped a puncture on the front and as he's alot wealthier than me said "im gonna try something different and theres a puncture in the front" so i thought id have them and get the puncture repaired (not knowing the replacement gurantee) took them in - got a new front tyre and at that point the rear had done about 200 miles....my mate knows someone who works at Avon (and he doesnt own a bike) so he gets tyres off him at cost but can only get a few sets per year.....if i can get some ill try their track formuler ones next...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information