1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uk Noise Limits - S1000rr (15+) / 899 / 959

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by damodici, Mar 10, 2018.

1. I'm looking at the 3 mentioned bikes as a way to get more riding in this year, mainly track.

I still ride on the roads but since a few mates have given up and obviously having the kids, weekend jaunts are always going to be few and far between. I like my random euro trips and love going to Germany, but I'd rather open up more opportunities for some 'me time' and as I work hard, I figured getting back to regular track days is the way to go.

I love my Superduke, but when running the akrapovic, which is half the fun, it's unlikely I can make any track day other than 105-108's.

Due to work commitments I'm not always in the position to be so picky, therefore it's about opening up options.

The 3 bikes are all available from between £8000-£12000, the higher end being the beemer although that's got the most tech and would come fully loaded with 24 months warranty.

What im wondering is what the range of noise is between them all.

The beemer from what I can gather running the stock can should just about be ok on a 98db day. So with that I'd probably get a better looking slip on to use for road and noisey days but easily pop the stock can on whenever I'm booked on a quiet day.

Ducati issues :

The 899 running stock cans I'm told is loud, but not sure what options there are to quieten them down, if running the Termignoni under belly system, can they be baffled up to run quieter when needed?

The 959 sounds reasonably quiet when I rode one but you never can tell. Hate the stock exhaust so even if I ran a single outlet slip on (sc project or AR) I presume the noise wouldn't change much as it's dampened in the cat underneath isn't it?

Obviously if I did what I'd really want and get an under belly on the 959 I'm in the same problems as the 899, whatever they may be

So, does anyone have any experience with noise testing with the 899 underbelly options and also the 959 running stock systems?

2. Never had a problem at Brands, Donnington or Sliverstone on my 899 running standard cans. I’m sure the Termi’s would cause a problem though.

I really didn’t gel with the bike compared to the faster Triumph 675R but that’s another story..

Personally I would be swaying towards the BMW. Was at Sliverstone in a monsoon last year and my friend on his S1000RR was lapping everyone in the fast group. No doubt he’s a good rider, but even he admitted the electronics were stunning in those conditions.

• Like Like x 2
  3. if you go for the s1000rr,a race can doesn't make much difference noise wise if the cat is still fitted.mine had a scorpion can and was really quiet until I took the cat off.im sure an hp4 with an akro only blows 98db

4. I know that the flapper valve keeps a lid on things under a specific rev range, and that's easy enough to unwire or rewire depending which way you want to go.

Part of me would still prefer the Ducatis though, but it's just about trying to get what's going to give me the most opportunity for track days

5. Jeff at Pipe Worx has just sorted me a can for my Aprilia RRV. The Arrow was way above the 98dB required for some tracks and I was expecting problems, now I can swap depending on noise regs at the track.
    Perhaps the 959 could be the easier option to fit a custom made unit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I think the 959 is fine with it's exhausts, part of the benefit is that the exit is up high at the back of the bike so they aren't picking up quite as much engine noise. My 899 was tight on noise with Termi's and baffles, which some think are quieter than the stock cans

7. Had no issues with 899 or 1299 on track days.

However the bmw IS much, much faster than the 899/959.. it’s also more comfortable. Have you ridden both?

They’re very different so I’d recommend riding them...

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. I've ridden the 959, S1000rr gen 2 <15) and gen 3 (15>)

I found the gen 2 more comfortable, the 959 comfortable and the gen 3 slightly worse than both

Having said that I know that they've raised the pegs on the gen 3 so rearsets will sort that. Technology wise it's a far better bike no doubt. I had the s1000xr and s1000r in the past so know how slick the QS and general fixings / build is.

Never ridden the 899 but can only presume it's the same as the 959?

The 899's are fairly plentiful at decent money, and adding a blipper doesn't look like it'll cost much.

I'm intrigued, what exhaust system did you run on the 899 and did you get on with a 98db day?

9. Both my panigales have run standard systems. They’ve usually blown somewhere in the region of 104-108 and I’ve still been allowed to play on 98 days..

10. Yeah, that's what I expected really.

Perhaps I need to take the beemer out again now it's getting better weather.

11. Thanks for that.

Wondering if the 959 would be ok running a single exit slip-on with a db killer in.

Looks like Sc project have a selection nowadays.

http://www.sc-project.com/ducati_panigale_959_e.htm

12. I run my 899 with full Termi’s (baffles in) and always pass at Oulton which is a 102dB limit static

13. As above Termis with baffles are around 102bB and ok on most tracks. I have been black flagged from Oulton with baffles towards the end of the day when I was going faster and using more revs. On the 1199 the Termis rob power but it's only really noticeable at top revs where it cuts off about 10-15mph so there's not many places in the UK where it matter muchs. I'd imagine it's not so bad on the smaller bike?

The BMW S1000RR is much better for noise than the Pani. You can run full power on the BMW without baffles and it still gets past 102dB even though on full chat it sounds louder than the Panigale which always seemed weird to me. A big part of the reason I keep my S1000RR even though I dont use it much is because it does not have noise issues. It gets onto Brands GP no problem whereas they dont even let bikes with Termis on at all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Agreed. I think the bassy sound of a twin is far less intrusive than a screaming IL4, even if it’s louder. I’ve been to Ducati only days and the rumbling twin sound dissipates far quicker then the screaming 4s when they’re on track..

15. You need to thank @royalwithcream not me. He is the 1 who did all the due diligence on noise limits, I just searched for the thread.

16. Cheers royal, really appreciate the first hand experience background info.

I went to look at a 2015 S1000rr today actually and it's faultless considering its used. Very tempted to go with the easier route that'll get me on track more times than having to always worry about needing noisey days

Is it a gen 2 or 3 you're using for track?

17. Mines a Gen 3. I dont use it much as it feels quite heavy and old school in comparison to the Panigale but the BMW engine is incredible even compared to the Pani R as its got lightened internals as standard. The extra stability of the BMW that makes it good on the road also makes the bike ideal for the Nurburgring where you dont necessarily require the lightweight flightiness of the Panigale that I prefer on short circuits. Personally I dont think the BMW feels like a 600 but the big Panigale does in most ways other than it being a bit slow to get around corners. It's easily as fast as any 600 in getting it down to full lean or in switching direction, it's just the slight understeer that makes it take a higher diameter turning line for the amount of lean unless you spin the rear a bit more than normal.

#18 Monners, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information