1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uk Trackday Insurance Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Phill748, Jun 28, 2021.

1. I did a search on this, and it mostly came back with Euro related insurance which tbh is probably the most used.

Does anyone have an idea what it costs for UK trackday insurance per day? say based on a £12-14k bike value? and does it generally caveat to a point where it's not worth doing?

I was thinking Bemoto, but just wanted to get an idea what to expect, is it the price of a trackday type thing or generally more like £500 of something silly...

2. It's high risk so I'd imagine the premiums will be mental. Would you offer insurance to a track day user? I know I effin wouldn't. No chance. I'd say a fit for purpose drack day insurance policy is a Unicorn. Either that or prohibitively expensive.

Personally I insure my track toys myself. If I bend them I mend them. At cost to me.

* I've taken mandatory insurance for the euro gigs but that's to cover medical requirements in the event of hospitalization due to an off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I am pretty sure the quote I had was around 200 quid on my previous bike and it was worth about 8k. Excess is high, something around 1000 quid so you have to do at least a grands worth of damage for it to be worth it. I figured most trackday crashes are lowsides so it just didn't bother.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Every time I’ve looked at this the premium was monster.

but the two main players I’d imagine will be bemoto and Moris.

bemoto have gone up in price a lot in the last year i’ve found and they’re not anywhere near as easy to get hold of as they used to be. I found this also on my last renewal. I had a lot of problems and the staff expertise seems to have gone down the toilet as they’re getting bigger. I went through various staff members, one of them thought my Ducati was a van ffs!
    Lay up Insurance which used to make a lot of sense was more than my fully comp road policy with all of the trimmings ffs!

My premium from moris was under half the price of bemoto! But moris fucked me about and didn’t call me back FIVE times o_O they then didn’t want to quote me because I’d previously been insured with bemoto..
    Pretty sure bemoto and moris are in bed together.. But unfortunately both seem to now be becoming very ‘insurance company like’..

5. What happens if you're not insured and you cause a crash??

6. On track?

Absolutely nothing

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I've noticed insurance companies have become much more hard ass in the last 15 years or so. Getting a settlement nowadays isn't as straight forward as it used to be. In fairness largely down to scrotes taking the piss for too long. The crash for cash scam springs to mind. Cost the insurance industry millions. And we (the honest masses) pick up the tab.

8. Yeah, I watched the 44Teeth legal video on insurance and honestly it nearly made me want to sell all my Vehicles, it's totally mental what they are getting away with.

I think I have the answer I was expecting, which is don't crash it if I'm not prepared to pay for it, which is fine if it's in my control, it's if something happens that isn't my fault. I'll have to just suck it up tbf.

9. Yep, motorsport is huge fun and excitement but there’s a dollop of risk stirred in. There’s not much you can do if a muppet takes you out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Unfortunately on track days or motorsport in general. There’s fuck all in the way of liability. If there was, it would probably finish trackdays especially.

however riding standards and bike prep would likely improve I’d wager

11. wonder how it works in America? they love a law suit don't they? especially when it involves personal injury (in part I guess because they have to have private health insurance). Anyway, probably for a different thread!

I'll just ride super careful and see how it goes! it's not NoLimits so hopefully I won't get wiped out in the first session...

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Do you think that is likely to sustain going forward? I don't. It's a matter of when, not if a lawsuit is issued against a track rider I'd reckon. I've never ridden on track, but I'd not go near one without third party insurance.

13. I have no idea mate to be honest. This comes up every now and then, and there has been talk of things changing on numerous occasions during my relatively short riding career (compared to some).

I am all for people taking ownership over their actions personally, however the change layout has always looked awful, which is why it’s unpopular I think.
    The costs are already sky high, having to insure against that potentially open ended almost liability would be astronomical

14. There is a thread somewhere on here about EU legislation (not being adopted by the current UK government) that will require track day providers to have compulsory 3rd party liability insurance. My memory is telling me that this was precipitated by someone being knocked off a ladder by a runaway tractor and the farmer not having insurance. The EU being what it is, decided in its infinite wisdom to apply 3rd party liability to just about every theoretical hazard in the book. Might be over playing that bit but I wonder if it would apply in this type of scenario. Andy

15. I know we all sign a waiver before we go on track but there have been several attempts to sue either track day organisers or people involved in crunches out on track. Dunno how it panned out but I'd imagine if there were successful claims the sums involved would be pretty big thus massively endangering track days for the masses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Many years ago there was a track day company called Track Time Promotions (anyone remember them?) the guy that ran it was OK, but in the briefing he really did hammer it home, no dicking around on track etc.

At some point on one of their trackdays someone crashed, made a mess of their bike and then sued TTP because in the briefing he hadn't explained that the grass was wet/less grip and won... I think that was the last straw for the owner and he packed up shop, so we lost one of our TDO's because of that.

I think there's been a few others against other TDO's over the years, obviously a few people have unfortunately been killed on track in recent times, but still considerably less than riding on the road.

People will always crash on trackdays (I have multiple times over the years) because they are pushing their bikes, their components, their abilities way beyond what they experience on the road, as long as they can crash without taking someone else out in the process it's OK, just pride and a big bill. No one intentionally goes on track to crash and certainly to injure someone else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I saw the stats about 10 years ago for people killed on trackdays (often listed as deaths in hospital) same with racing.

it’s striking I can tell you that. One circuit (no names mentioned), was doing a few a month without much trouble.

red flags are definitely much much higher these days so I’d imagine (although haven’t seen any data) this figure has risen substantially.

18. It's a mind field isn't it, for example tyre warmers... Personally as a less experienced trackday guy, if I go out on cold tyres I'll be really careful for 2 laps, but I'll be out with a guy who has slicks on warmers and goes out first corner 10 seconds faster, then you get the fact that he could be 10 seconds faster than me, then suddenly you have a lap 1 20second pace difference, before you put any other variable.

I was at Snetterton with a mate the other week as he races Bemsee but is disabled, he was on his R1 in fast group, where there was a guy on one of those MZ's and not a quick one, on the front straight I couldn't watch... Honestly the closing speeds and people weaving to avoid him was too much to watch.

• Agree Agree x 1

19. Groupings is always a nightmare. Increasingly so as I personally believe the average skill level has dropped personally

20. I don't at all disagree, but at some point someone will be permanently incapacitated by someone else's stupidity or recklessness. That video of the person hitting the brakes mid lap to wait for their friend springs to mind. It's not the organizers, it's the individual riders would or could or should be held to account. As an individual rider I'm not sure I'd go to a trackday without third party insurance.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information