1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultrasonic

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Talentless, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Hi Guys,
    Just started on the rebuild / restoration / fix of the 749, and I was thinking about getting an ultrasonic cleaner to make cleaning the parts a bit easier, I was looking at a 10l one, with a tank size of 300 x 240 x 150.
    Any of you guys got one, had one, think they are a good idea, if so which one have you got?

Thanks

2. Occasionally use them at work for cleaning blockages from ink jet printers
    Maybe ok for cleaning carb jets but never considered using one for any other application.
    What would you be using it for

3. I have one for cleaning watch movement parts ... but not used for bike parts
    I assume you’d need to run through a parts washer first before putting in the ultrasonic cleaner , or it would get pretty filthy

4. I had a tight arse version . Strapped a sander to 10 litre empty paint pot with water and a mild detergent then left the bits in for a hour or so. Worked fine on small bits.

Failing that, I used to use the dishwasher when the wife was out, works a treat. As long as you don't get caught

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. i was going to use it for general cleaning of mast parts, calipers, nuts, bolts etc, once they have been cleaned with other stuff.

6. Better using Harpic 10X Power Plus :thinkingface: ultrasonic cleaners for carbs

7. feeling ultrasonic give me gin an tonic

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. you can have it all but how much do you want it...
    my humor is wasted on you people...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. You make me laugh ... give me your autograph Chiz

• Like Like x 2
  10. Didn't Elsa say that to a doctor, in a helicopter?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ultrasonic cleaners have come on in the past few years. You can now get them large enough to do engine blocks... the key is the power of the cleaner itself along with the cleaning solution you use.
    I use mine for carbs, which is what I bought it for, but also for cylinders and heads. It’s great for deep cleaning the oil ways and coolant passages.
    You do tend to get what you pay for, but a good cleaning solution can make all the difference.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Good ones can be very effective at cleaning up internal drillings in carbs etc. Bad ones are normally not worth the bench space and you would do bettter with a bucket of soapy water and a scrubbing brush.
    A couple of tests that might help spot good from bad.
    1. If you can put your hand in it when it is running and keep it there - good ones are very uncomfortable
    2. If you start with cold water, (leave the heat circuit turned off) and after 10 mins don’t have steaming hot water, it isn’t generating much power through cavitation.

• Useful Useful x 3
  13. Love the Oasis derailment!
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. which product have you found to be a good cleaning solution? thanks

• Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information