1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Uncovering Some Of The Smaller Details

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Topolino, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Whilst at the NEC a couple of weeks back, I was interested to see (in the absence of a workshop manual) how the V4 was put together. In pursuit of my curiosity, I took a few photos of the naked bike, in the hope of revealing a few things about how it all fits together, which will prove helpful when it comes to stripping the bike down. Here's a little of what I learned. Warning...picture heavy!!

These allen headed bolts located on the frame, are the mounting points for the fairings

20171123_115756.jpg

The starter motor is minute!

20171123_120229.jpg

Still unclear as to whether the air filter can be removed from inside the airbox or from the casings in front of the frame.

20171123_120322.jpg

Rear shock is mounted to a two part bracket that bolts to the rear of the engine casings.

20171123_120041.jpg

It partially obstructs the rear header, which means exhaust changes are going to be a PITA.

20171123_120013.jpg

Blow by pipe, the main injector harness, a few bolts holding the throttle bodies to the manifolds and the airbox to the frame and this whole assembly can be removed leaving the frame in situ. This means access to the inter-cylinder hoses of the cooling system, if you want to change them out for say a Samco kit, is much much easier, compared to the xx99 series.

20171123_120313.jpg

Separate heatsinks for headlights and DRLs

20171123_120417.jpg

Access to the rear sprocket now easier and you can remove the side brackets/footrests, QS and sidestand as one complete assembly, without the suspension collapsing (unlike the xx99). Same for the RH side.

20171123_120641.jpg

Heat here is obviously a concern for the rear speed sensor cable.

20171123_122121.jpg

Front subframe mounts at four points. Looks easy enough to remove, if you intend on mounting a lightened track version.

20171123_123558.jpg

Lower half of shock mount bracket. Rocker linkage attaches to this bracket and there appears to be no ride height/link rod adjustment. Instead two fixed plates (a little cheap looking IMHO) that attach to the swingarm and the link itself.

20171123_123739.jpg

You can see one of the link plates here. Judging by the bolts and the somewhat dubious quality of the plating, this is an area which will be vulnerable to corrosion #stainlesssteelbolts #cerakoting

20171123_124219.jpg

DRL lights are always on. Dipped beam headlight comes on automatically in low light conditions. Switchgear/Menu Settings allows this feature to be overridden if desired, apparently.

20171123_124841.jpg

Side fairings join under the nose.

20171123_143300.jpg

Here you can see the 4 map sensor connections and the now typically impossible to access intercylinder cooling system hose connections. At least the thermostat housing looks to be made of metal this time.

20171123_144714.jpg

This is one part I will definitely be changing. I hate the routeing of this brake hose. Would want it underslung. Looks a bit gash the way they have it set up here.

20171123_124035.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. In your last pic it looks like the stock resrsets are adjustable. Nice touch.

P.s. on second thought those probably aren’t the stock rearsets.

#2 psych0hans, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  3. On my old VFR750FK (also a V4) you had to take the engine out to change the exhaust.

4. V4 Speciale comes with Rizoma adjustable rear sets as standard. Andy

5. It should come with a blow job every day from one of the Ducati brolly dollies

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Yes please!

7. Take your pick! :p The one on the left is a 100,000 quid extra and needs maintenance every 500miles... :p
    [​IMG]

8. Nice detailed shots, thanks for posting. Shock mount is an interesting solution.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Agree that the shock mount appears interesting. Close pitched bolts attached to engine casting does not look structurally efficient from what I can see on the pics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Re-designed rear brake pipe versus original which looks a bit gash IMHO.

brake line routeing.jpg

20171123_124035.jpg

11. They tend to use the "Norma" clamps on the intercylinder hoses, as on the xx99 series. If that's the case, I'll be changing them for conventional stainless jubilee clips instead.

12. I think the only component I’ll be ‘modifying’ will be the double nut locking on the rear shock absorber by replacing it with the Ohlins ‘race’ hydraulic pre load adjuster. I did ask the question, if Ohlins make it, why is it not fitted and the reply was ‘it’s a race component not homologated for the road’. More accessories appearing in the catalogue but not as yet, a set of fibreglass track fairings. Andy

13. Seriously you lot aint joking lol GREAT PICTURES not that i know what I'm looking at lol.
    Im waiting for the V4R paid for it already (Big Deposit) what i think it will cost.
    You never know i might get some money back LOL Yeah Right lol.
    Wish i was as Knowledgeable as some of you.
    With myself if the tyres need pumping up i bring it back lol thats as far as i go with bikes.
    Love Ducati got a few but prefer my bank account being healthy lol.
    Over the years I've noticed that people who ride Ducati are very passionate about the brand and so they should be.
    Anything from Italy that is RED with two wheels or four is superb in my eyes.
    Which i had the confidence to strip and pull apart bikes like some of you and notice all the finer details you lucky GITS lol

14. The first thing I'd do would be to ditch the ABS, so that would sort all those rear brake hoses out straight away

15. Here is a small detail for you. Running in regime rev limit is 6000 rpm for the first 1000km/600 miles and then ONLY 7000 rpm for the next 1600km/1000 miles. Andy

16. Isn't that standard for Ducati Andy?

17. Are you saying it will be electronically limited for all of that?

18. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen to me. What if you manage to shock load the bracket in an off?? Will it bust your casings?? :scream:

19. It's also a two piece bracket. Hopefully it is designed that way to shear off in the event as opposed to fracturing the engine casings.

20. Great pictures, thanks for the effort.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information