1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Under Seat Power Supply.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Steviegtr, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Hi guys & gals. Does anyone know if the underseat power supply is live with bike switched off 2017 1200s. I ask this because I am going to do a fair bit of video recording with helmet cam. Gopro hero 5 session this year. The battery only lasts just over a hour so will need to charge the unit up while parked up, for copious amount of coffee & nicotine. Did quite a bit last year but was a pain when battery went flat. Tried powering the unit up while riding with lead through jacket from under seat but was a pain in the ass. Also the gopro is funny with charger plugged in while riding sometimes stops working after 1st 17min vid clip.

2. Just a thought, Tried charging your phone with ignition off.?
    Might be quickest way to find out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Without wondering into the garage to look, I’m going to have a stab at it and say no....... the power is cut to the sat nav supply when you switch off so I should think it cuts it everywhere to avoid things draining it.

4. I’ve wired my bike mounted Ghost cam up so that it’s powered from the under seat usb supply as soon as bike is started so never goes flat. Not sure running the cable through your jacket is a good idea ? Is it on a quick connect jack plug like with heated gloves etc ?

5. Even if it is permanent live, you'll end up with a dead bike battery charging it whilst pulled over.

Best bet would be a USB power pack. Absolute best solution would be to try and fix your camera's issue with being charged whilst on. Maybe a firmware update will cure that. Then you can keep the USB power pack in an Inside jacket pocket and run the thing for days like that

6. The answer is no - Both the power supply sockets go live after switch on, just don't leave it switched on without then starting the bike, not really an issue as if you just leave it switched on and don't start the engine the bike will switch itself off after a few minutes to save the battery

7. As stated get a power pack; the Ridgemonkey powervault will be perfect. The thing can charge a very large laptop a number of times. You could just wire in a charging sytem & have a second or third battery on trickle charge from the bike. However with bumps & the like the cable might loosen or get pulled out.

I have the previous power pack & its great.

8. Some of you have indicated getting a power pack. Not thought of that. Could keep it in back box & plug in whilst stopped. The issues with the powering through jacket was with a usb lead which would have just pulled off in the event of accident etc. I had a microphone in my helmet & with gopro you have to have a mic adaptor kit which was not ideal. Unfortunately you cannot charge & have mic adaptor plugged in & working at same time. The thing just shuts down & after many communications with gopro support I gave up. Just ordered a Tascam audio recorder & a couple of microphones to set up & keep in jacket pocket while riding. Then when I edit the video in Pinnacle studio & can stitch the audio & sync it to the video. The mic on the gopro is no good as all you hear is the wind once over 30mph. Thanks for all the answers. I am sure plenty of you have a helmet cam. The footage I got last year was stunning. Especially out Ribbleshead & Hawes way. Stunning scenery. Did it in 1080. Tried 4k but didn't seem much better so leave on 1080 at 60 frames per sec.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ordered a usb power pack today. Many thanks guys.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Buy a second(3rd) camera battery also, one charging whilst other in use.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Not sure if you are up on Gopro. Mine is a Gopro Hero5 Session. It is like a 50mm square cube. Fully waterproof & sealed. The battery is factory fitted & not removable like some other cams. Don't really want to buy a different one as the video is stunning & also has image stabiliser so no wobby vid.
    20190220_150004.jpg

12. On my old GSXR I fasted a cigarette lighter outlet under the seat and plugged a car USB adaptor into that to charge my phone on an evening camping during the TT. Never had an issue starting the bike the next morning.

13. Thanks for that. I was going to go down that route but ordered a power bank now.

14. Gawd I hate sealed batteries for camera recording. I agree with @RichW get a lead wired in so you can run the camera permanently when the bikes running.

15. I did that last year. Ran a lead from rear skt under the seats that protruded out near the tank. Ran a separate lead inside my jacket + the Microphone adaptor which is required for the gopro. After the 1st 17min clip the camera shut down. Tried it a few times but gave up on it. I contacted Gopro support who said it would not work wired up that way. The camera on its own runs for 1 hr 20 mins on full battery but charges up pretty quick. Hence trying the 30,000 mah power pack for when stopped at coffee shops etc.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. What company did you buy the power-pack from @Steviegtr

17. It was just one off ebay £12.50. Plugged galaxy s8 in last night with 8% left. After 10mins it was up to 28,% so seems to work ok.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. I'm going to give you a bollocking. Prepare for my post!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information