1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Under The Fairing Frame Sliders

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Pierre 66, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Has anyone got these fitted and if so, where did you get them from?

R&G only list them for 1098/1198/848 fitment and can`t confirm if they will also fit other models. They only list a through the fairing option for the 749/999, but I`ve never been a fan of these.

SpeedyMoto in America seem to be the only other place I can find that have them.
    SpeedyMoto - Frame Sliders

2. I have Speedymoto ones on my 749. They fit really well and have been tested once....on one side only. Small scuff on the fairing and no other damage.
    I have R&G under fairing ones on my 1098.

3. As you have both SpeedyMoto and R&G, do you know if they look the same?
    The SpeedyMoto fitment chart gives the same part number for the 1198/1098/848 and the 749s/749r but a different part number for the 749 and 749 dark.

screencapture-speedymoto-products-sliders-frame-sliders-1490127112330.png
    I have read elsewhere someone said they had clearance issues with the pre facelift fairings, maybe that could explains the different part numbers.

4. It may be the diameter of the engine bolts although I'd be surprised if the 749 is different from the R or S versions. Mine are on an 04 R.
    I will take a look over the weekend

5. Thanks for that.
    If they are the same for both models it will be easier, and probably cheaper, to get the R&G ones.
    I think I`ll message SpeedyMoto and see what sort of price postage from America will be.

6. @Pierre 66 here you go.
    Both extend approx 78mm from the red frame boss.
    R&G on 1098, Speedymoto on 749R. DSC_0459.JPG DSC_0458.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I reckon you'll be ok with the R&G ones, as long as the engine bolt is the correct diameter.

8. Yeah, the engine bolt. Looking at the SpeedyMoto model list I "think" it will be the same, soon find out.

9. Been in touch with R&G, the nuts for the engine bolt are listed as M12, so the engine bolt is 12mm diameter.
    Looks like jobs a good `un.
    Thanks again for your help @RickyX

10. Cool! They should list them for 749/999 if they are suitable.

11. I`ll mention that to them. Might be worth a sizable discount or at least free postage. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Update on these frame sliders.
    They do not fit the 749/999.
    I don`t think the engine bolt is quite long enough, I couldn`t tell for definite because the left hand bobbin is a bit to wide to clear the battery box.
    I always knew it was a risk but, c`est la vie, pays your money takes your chance.
    I don`t think I can get a refund either so, if anyone has an 848/1098/1198 and they want some under body frame sliders then make me a serious offer.

13. Bummer!
    Sorry to hear that!
    Do you mean the bobbin diameter is too large? Perhaps you could locally cut/file/grind it to clear the battery box?

14. No probs.
    The tapered part of the bobbin needs to go about 15-20mm higher. I don`t think the engine bolt is quite long enough either. I think there are to many little issues to start altering parts.
    I`ll try and get in touch with R&G and see if I can beg and plead for a refund. I think they must know because they keep hanging up on me.
    I can`t find any companies in this country that sell the Speedymoto/Motowheels ones either, which is a shame.
    It`s not all doom and gloom though, my bike started on the button after her winter layup, she`s serviced and taxed and ready to go.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a set of speedymoto underbody sliders from America.
    012 - Copy.JPG
    Unfortunately, these fecking things won`t fit my bike either, or more accurately, my standard fairings won`t fit with these sliders.
    The slider pucks line up exactly with the fairing joint and fastener, no way will they fit without modifying the fairings and/or the slider rods.
    This is the fit and the offending fairing joint and fastener.
    003.JPG
    008 - Copy.JPG

Motowheels have said they haven`t come across this issue in over ten years of selling these sliders and have no solution to the problem other than modification. They sent me some pictures of these sliders fitted to their shop 999R, their slider pucks are more mushroom shaped than the one`s in my kit, don`t think this would make a difference though. They did say the fairings on their bike are one piece so don`t have a join.
    If they haven`t had any issues with this kit before, and there`s no reason to think this isn`t true, surely the internet would be awash with complaints etc. otherwise.
    The only other thing I can think of is my bike is quite an early 2003 model, I wonder if Ducati changed the fairing joint position, just enough to clear the sliders on every other bike but mine.
    Ah well, c`est la vie.

16. My fairings are one piece so I don't have this problem.
    Perhaps you could shorten the puck on the smaller diameter side to clear the fairing?

17. I tried fitting just the rods without the pucks to get an idea of how far out they are, the fairing would nearly fit. I think the fastener and joint lip will need removing where the puck would be, there is about half an inch of the rod nearest the bike that is unthreaded, that could also be removed on a lathe.

18. I would modify the Fairing if it were me. If you shorten the slider/puck, it may not protrude sufficiently past the engine casings therefore completely negating the effect of the sliders which obviously need to touch down before the engine does.

• Like Like x 1
  19. That was my thinking.
    I`ve read the idea behind underbody sliders is they are more to support the fairing and help stop it collapsing into the more expensive parts underneath, the fairing being seen as the slider and as such, a sacrificial part.
    I`m going to have another look tomorrow, I still haven`t got the old girl serviced or MOT`d yet, bloody work keeps getting in the way.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information