1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underseat Mudguard Mod/hack/knife And Fork Job.

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by comfysofa, Oct 21, 2018.

1. As above...it was a lovely day today, but all i could hear were sirens all around the vicinity of the house....which kinda led me to think..."yeah - better stay in..." ive been wanting to sort out the underneath of the hyper for ages. Where its been extensively modded by various owners the rear has a custom carbon fibre tail...due to the design and the fact the original (and shit) underseat muguard cannot be used ive been getting some bits together to see if i can mock up something. The main reason being is that theres a big fuck off hole right above the rear wheel and as soon as the hyper sees a sniff of wet weather it all gets sprayed up into the area underneath the seat and in turn all the electrics...

The plan is to knock something up (pigs ear stylee) the fabricator local to me can manufacture on his fan-dabby-dozy laser cutter thingy...

All the pics are on my phone so it may jump around a bit but i think ive got something half decent and a couple of designs...but i think ill be trying something else for a bit of variation...

2. So. .here's the hole....
    20181021_125850.jpg

3. Here's the tools ...tin snips...couple small offcuts of stainless and a vice based folding tool ( which I couldn't use as my vice isn't man enough ) that'll be coming next month...
    20181021_123841.jpg 20181021_124614.jpg

4. As you can see I used a 4litre milk bottle tub to get the initial size...

• Like Like x 2
  5. This was my first go...
    20181021_124606.jpg
    Its a bit of a weird hole to fill...no real straight edges

6. 20181021_125825.jpg 20181021_125818.jpg
    As you can see...hole filled..!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Had a other go at a smaller more compact design...folded slightly differently...
    20181021_151135.jpg
    Hard to see I know but...it does the job....plan is to modify a bit more so I can hang a number plate from it too...

• Like Like x 1
  8. I can only presume that people with the single termi system have the same problem (using those small replacement sidepanels)

9. Don’t leave sharp re-entrant corners - they need a nice radius or they will just crack.

10. The single termi system comes with an acrylic cover which covers the area behind the exhaust hanger (however my tail tidy does create a little gap) but not the area in front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. I do like a hole filled :upyeah:

12. Yeah - thats the bit im covering...that plastic bit in front is kinda part of my rear tail piece...the idea is to set the plate as far back as possible (speed camera friendly then :) )

13. Yeah - i know - as i say, knife and fork job...the fabricator will make it all look peachy...

14. Just seeing your undercarriage @Neeps - its a little bit ducati isnt it....you cant see it so it doesnt matter....its kinda all just "Patched in there"...im guessing you get the water problem also...i kinda dont as i dont ride in wet weather anymore...well, not if i can help it...

15. Yea it gets quite dirty if the roads are even slightly damp. It does confuse me as to how ducati didn't hake a cover similar to the one you're making considering you can directly see the battery sitting there and especially since the bike has no hugger either!

16. So, it sounds like that hole is kinda generic then...across all of them...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I can confirm - i have a similar hole - and have the single side exhaust! The acrylic panel covers under the rear most but theres still a large gap around the battery - which results in everything getting filthy if you ride in rain or wet roads!! I had mine spotless under there, don't remember riding in the rain but it was very dirty again! Its an odd shaped bugger of a hole too! The hugger just doesn't go far enough sound the wheel to be effective.

18. well, on it today...moderately wet on the road so, when i get home ill pop the seat off and see whats sprayed up inside...hopefully nothing...

#18 comfysofa, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  19. Mission accomplished.... Loads of ground water this morning and under the seat is spray free... Next thing is to hang a number plate from it... 20181113_170130.jpg

20. @comfysofa show us a pic of your finished 'guard' as the muck that gets up in there is a pain!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information