1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upcoming Scotland & North Of England Road Trip

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Nigel Machin, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Evening all
    Planning a trip end of August for a few days with the missus, destinations confirmed are, Keswick in the Lake District 1 night, Loch Lomond 1 night, Aviemore, 3 nights, Edinburgh 1 night, Whitby 1 night Matlock 1 night & home.
    Any particular sights we should definitely take in, anywhere we should aim to visit along route or beyond, aim to do some walking also in between traveling.
    Any tips or considerations greatfully received

2. Be especially carefull in Edinburgh. The incidents of bike thefts have gone through the roof

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Noted & thanks, have hotel with its own parking, alarm disk lock and tracker, I can do no more!

4. @finm is a sight you must see. Watch him with the wife though...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Whitby has great fish and chips .Tha Magpie is the famous one but recently had a fire so don't know if that will be open but all are good.
    Walk up to the Abbey which featured in Bram Stokers Dracula novel
    Normally a good bike turn out particularly on weekend
    Just north of Whitby is a beautiful little village called Staithes,worth seeing
    On route to Matlock maybe take in Helmsley ,another bike gathering spot on a weekend but nice village
    Watch out for North Yorkshire Police !
    Hope you enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  6. Personally I'd give Aviemore a miss. There's bugger all there but tourists and you'll have the horrible A9 to contend with.
    If you must go there, from Loch Lomond head north to Crianlarich and from there to Fort William. From Fort William head for Spean Bridge and take the Loch Laggan road to Newtonmore then on to Aviemore using the old road. The Laggan road is a belter :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I'd pm @finm for a route round Jockland. He knows some splendorous routes away from the madding crowds and the police!

The Magpie cafe in Whitby is shut as it's had two fire recently. Plus it was over hyped and over priced anyway. There are better places in Whitby for fish and chips.

On your way to Matlock call by Squires and also Holmfirth and do a bit of sightseeing (Sid's cafe, Nora Batty's house etc - it's all quite picturesque if you like that kind of thing). Plus the roads round here are pretty good and alpine like in places.

ps Thread moved ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. yip, Edinbro is cool, liking more each time i visit.
    consider this route. after edinbro, head over to Dunfries and Galloway, there's a gazillion fast twisty roads to explore around the forest, lots of interesting little places to visit. i could recommend one or two. then head up the Ayrshire coast to Adrossan, get the ferry across to the isle of Arran, about 60mls all the way around. take a walk up goat fell, arran is like Scotland condensed in to a day trip. get the wee ferry from lochranza arran on to kintyre. this is where it gets interesting if your into yer quick in twisty, not many tourests and even less police. head up from there to lochgilphead to oban, to ballachulish. from there you can take a left up to fortbill then lochness or a right for glencoe and lochlomond. personally i always avoid glencoe and lochlomond. to much traffic and coppers. that's just for starters. plenty more routs available
    you could do all that in three days easy. four if you wanted to walk goat fell. dont think you have to book the ferries. they run all day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    +1 for avoiding Aviemore and for the same reasons. The West coast is where it's at. Personally, the further North the better. If you have 3 nights to spare then personally I'd consider heading NW through Tyndrum, Fort William etc sticking to the coast.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. one of those beaches up by ardnamuchan?
    i have a wee soft spot for avimore, some great roads around the Grampians and over to Aberdeenshire but avoid the A9 like the plague. nice scenery but just to busy. west is deffo best but drier on the east.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Well spotted Finm. Glenuig and Sanna.

Nigel, there's also the road to the bottom of Skye from Fort William and from there Applecross, Ullapool, Achmelvich (place names to google etc).

Keep in mind there are many foreign tourists who get lost, stop randomly, u turn, pull in and out of lay-bys and all the rest of it. Not often but I've seen it happen. Experience says it's worth keeping an eye out for.

12. yip, in a straight line not to far from me.i can almost see it from my top window. i was up there 3weeks ago,

13. A87 Invergary to Kyle is a fabulous road. Mostly fast sweeping bends with good visibility.

14. Perhaps you should go upstairs more often :)

15. Looks like I'll visiting Jockland more often from next weekend when #1 son and his family move to Helensburgh for no apparent reason. :(

16. nah, not safe. thar be children.
    so it's going ahead then?. if he is into his bikes hook us up.

17. It's funny you should say that. Me and Mrs. Hinge stopped there for a night after watching The Highland Games in Braemar (not sure I've spelt that right) and I noticed the town was full of dysfunctional English piss heads. Felt quite at home actually.... obvs....

18. Yep, they've exchanged contracts and it's all due for completion on Friday 28th July, which is also his birthday.

I have to say that it's a very nice house he's bought. Massive too. And for very little money, but there again it is Scotland;)

He doesn't ride otherwise I'd hook you up. But when I'm coming up I'll be sure to come on the bike and SWMBO can go in the car. However though SWMBO is going at the end of August and in October I won't be up there till next year as the rest of my year is booked up one way or another.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information