1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating my recovery

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ducbird, Mar 17, 2012.

1. As many of you may remember dizzy and I parted company on the A49 at Onibury last June. It resulted in dizzy being written off and myself with one featured shoulder and a dislocated other.
    In November I had to have my fractured shoulder which had frozen manipulated under GA. This has much improved enabling me to get back to work after 28 weeks off.
    The shoulder was still very sore to move so last week had a steroid injection in it.
    It now moves lovely but still hurts I may have a tear in the rotacuff but this is a first remedy.
    The other shoulder is nearly there.

I still have a fear of riding and I miss my riding life terribly. But.... I have thought about the steps to take to conquer that fear and in time I will.
    So you may see me out and about again in time :)

2. That should read fractured shoulder bloody predicted txt

3. I broke my collarbone a few years ago, V painful and slow recovery. I feel for you. Be careful now you've had steroid not to overdo it without knowing it.
    Get well soon and get on a bike asap please.

4. Good to hear you're on the mend Viv. As already mentioned, take it easy after the steroiod injection.

5. Thanks fo the update Viv - glad to hear you are on the mend. Donna was asking after you just the other day. I'm sure you'll get back in the saddle when you are ready - but no rush.

:upyeah:

6. Good luck with the recovery and your return to riding, at least the dogs should be getting some exercise.
    Steve

7. If you can come to terms with why you parted with dizzy and understand the reasons for your fall , wether it was your fault or others , you will probably find getting back on easier . Even if you are thinking i`ll not do that again or I will have to watch out for that . Good luck with your recovery.

8. I wish you well Viv, and hope you find your way back to riding. Another lady I know has plates in her shoulder after a bad off, she had only just passed her test and swore she was never going to ride again. But she finally got her head around the mental block she had, it took a while but she's back and planning her trip to europe this summer. Good luck with your recovery.

9. It's perfectly natural to be wary of something that's hurt you, so don't sweat about your fear of riding. Maybe the urge to get back on the bike will come, or maybe it won't; but don't let peer pressure force you back in the saddle, that would not help you at all. Get yourself recovered first, then see how you feel about it. I've become even more attached to my bikes since a big off in 1990, perhaps because I have taken steps to become a better rider over the years because of that accident.

10. That's the hardest bit. My front end just folded one minute looking in front the next on the floor and I can't make sense of it.
    One thing is that road becomes an ice rink when wet so I guess I was just very unlucky.
    If I had been knocked off then that's easy to deal with.
    It happened with no warning at all so easy that's what scares me.

11. Aww go girl

12. Her off was due to wet road, excess gravel and a drain cover on entrance to roundabout. Not nice but at least she knows what caused it and with more experience now looks out for the hazards on the road surface not just from other road users.
    Did you keep Dizzy?

13. 75 Posts!!! how do people do it. I've managed a measley 13 which includes this one and I log on most days!!

14. I'm the same I log on read the post and find somebody has already said what I would have said. I don't see the point in repeating a post.
    You could always Quote and add +1 I suppose

15. It will come with time, just a case of being patient, picking the right day to try again. A certain amount of bloody-mindedness doesn't hurt either.

It took me a year and 3 different bikes to finally overcome my cornering woes after throwing my dad's Trophy 1200 down the road as a youth. Minding my own business, riding to work and suddenly I'm on the floor. Although it was a bright and warmish morning, it is believed that the road was still cold and greasy (it had been a clear night) and the roundabout in question has a nasty camber change part way through it - the front tyre slid off the peak and just kept going.

16. I took some time off after I came off, then went right back to basics with a little 125, might sound a bit feeble, but I really has to build my confidence right back up again, it worked the 125 is now gone and I am loving my Monster.

17. Good advice, just remember the good times riding before your accident.....some people find it helps to ride with a mate, someone to watch your back so to speak......
    I had a bad crash 5 years back, two year recovery! I was soooo eager to get back on the bike, did so too early really (pain wise) and was shocked how 'nervous' I was once on the road, took a fair while to get back in the swing of it. Coming to the end of another forced break from riding now after more surgery last October, Spring is as good as here and I can't wait to be back on two wheels.

Glad you're doing well

18. Hope your ok .. I happily rode about for years bombing about with no fear..
    Had a couple tumbles but was ok.

One day I had an off and due to circumstances it effected me badly.
    My partner at the time was unhappy and I had to stay off my bike..

A few years later back single the first thing I did was buy a bike ..
    I was so excited!!!
    I got on and was a bag of nerves!
    I still have problems ..
    I'm slowly getting back to normal but riding like a learner.
    It's frustrating after years of riding to get this stupid mental block.
    Also I dare not ride with people ., most people I know are fast riders ie well over speed limit some time..
    Or ride slow as on mways .. Where I am totally happy , and really mad In the country.
    I'm the other way round.. So have no choice but to ride alone at mo.

Last year was in agony and blinding migraines , been diagnosed with a rare form of Arthritis which at mo has attacked my eyes????? So been a mare to ride .. So understand ., I have to take it day by day now but won't be beat!!
    Just take your time and go at your own pace !!
    It will get better . Do it in your time ..

I got told to ditch my monster and buy a cruiser as may be easier for me to ride and better for ne as more comfy too.
    I said over my dead!!!!! And not even if it was the Ducati Indiana.
    Take it easy and best of luck to you :)

19. Thank you for you support guys and gals. I shall be a nervous wreck when I try again.
    I'm inspired to work towards riding after reading your experiences

20. Do you sleep woman 

No other make for me either I'm a ducati lover multi is another option
    to the monster I have ridden both

Do Not Sell My Personal Information