1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uploading Action Camera Video To U Tube-whats The Best Format

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by CRYSTALJOHN, Dec 25, 2018.

1. I'm new to all this action camera thing, recently been flaffing about with my new 'Apeman camera' whilst riding my bike in India. I've made several f'up's including inadvertently formatting all the video of my 'Jungle rides' as I only had 2 micro s.d cards with me and was resorting to transferring the content of the s.d's cards onto a portable hard drive via a cyber cafe's PC at the end of the day. I had naively thought I would take a video, upload it to my ipad, modify it with 'imovie' and then upload to u tube in a few minutes. How wrong could I be?
    I took all my video in the resolution of: 1080FHD 1920 X 1080

I had the choice of : 720P 1280 x 720 60fps

720 1280 x 720 30fps

WVGA 848 X 480

The reasoning behind my choice being that the video would be better quality.

First question. What should I have taken them in, as I have uploaded a couple of 15 min videos to u tube but it's taken many hours. The format the 'Apeman camera' generated was .MOV. My micro sd card was 32GB.

I think I have now realized some of the shortcomings of my camera in that it doesn't deal with the transition from bright sunlight to shade very well. I suppose that's relative to the price of the camera- I paid £40.
    Would a Go pro camera handle the differing light conditions better?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, John.

2. I have a pair of the older Hero3 blacks and that was one thing that impressed me most, the way it handles dark to light. Cheaper cameras have less powerful CPUs and it shows when you get the dark light transition.
    I record video in 1080/30 or 60 and upload to youtube in 720/30, more than that means a huge file and huge upload times. I keep the higher res ones for my own viewing on the TV or computer.

3. Thanks Bob. That's exactly what I needed to know. All a steep learning curve at the moment but I will stick with it.
    Some of the video I took in consistent light levels was pretty good , it just didn't seem to be able to handle the light level change well, now you have explained about the inferior CPU it makes sense to me.
    I suppose if I upload in 720/30 the quality of the video won't be so good?

4. Depends how fast your connection is. If fibre go big HD, if not drop down to 720p and see how that goes. Trial and error with a small file

5. Don't have fibre. Although being with BT due to wanting to watch Moto GP I do have a reasonable download speed ( not sure about upload speed ). I'm currently uploading a 3.5GB video, now 30% uploaded and I started at 9:00am this morning ffs. The 3.5GB file is only about 20mins long too.

6. I would recommend that you shoot using the 720P setting rather than 1080FHD. 720/60 gives a clearer image of movement than 1080/30. It is also useful if you need to do a bit of slow motion for a specific event.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. You will find that many youtube viewers have slow internet connections and don't view in more than 720 on a pc screen anyway.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. 720 still looks ok on a big screen

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. @SunEye Cheers for that info, very useful.
    All my riding in India is in slow motion as you never know when a dog/pig/cow/water buffalo/chicken is going to jump in front of you!

10. To condense a ride and to try to avoid boring viewers, I find that time lapse videos are great.

Good fun making them too.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information