1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Upward Move In Prices

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by BIG M, May 7, 2019.

1. I've noticed recently that the prices of the base and S model 1098 have started to increase quite significantly, whilst the prices of the R model seem to have simmered off to what they were 12-18 months ago. I use the word 'price' as opposed to 'value' as the two are not necessarily the same!. Looking at eBay and Autotrader prices there are a number of bikes nudging and in excess of £10K compared to a number of R bikes that have been about for a while at sub £20k prices - I'm not including the Sheffield bikes as they are marketed for a special breed of buyer. Not so long ago as soon as an R of any sort came on the market the seller named their price and it was hunted down like it was shooting season, whilst the lesser models paled by comparison. Maybe the increase in base/S bike prices and decline in R prices is due to buyers who want a 1098 but don't want R prices are going for the base/S bikes as a better value for money alternative. Or is it that sellers of base/S are driving the market in same way as the R market was. It's easy to with Ducati bikes as there are never all that many for sale compared to other marques. Or even though the newer Panigale models are great bikes many see the older bike as a true and proper Ducati and the one to have? Hmmm!:thinkingface:

2. Having just bought a base model 1098, my motivations were
    1. It's a beautiful bike.
    2. It's the most affordable way of dipping your toe into ducati sports bike and is good if you don't want to welly out medium five figures and then decide you don't like it
    3.The exhaust pipes under the seat look cool.
    4. It makes an almighty racket.
    5.I perceived it, rightly or not, as a slightly safer less powerful bike than the S or R.
    6. The seller was a great lad
    7. There's a film on Netflix with them in about a lad running drugs on them
    8. I am shallow

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Whats the film on Netflix?

4. I have a 1098S, and its awesome, you can still pick them up around the 7k mark but they are pushing 8k upwards. I wouldn't sell mine its brilliant, but still anchor after a 1198S / SP, over a Panigale, I think I am a bit old school.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 999s are surely where the smart money is?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yep, 999S are around 7k would only get a post 05 red frame one tho, using the deep sump engine. But they are a bit far between

7. There is a general dip in the car and bike market at the moment, started a thread about it last year - I think the base models going up still is a reflection of the increase in R models increasing with owners asking more and more and it's just over run a bit! 999 base and S models are seeing some high prices too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. All 999S's had a deep sump engines :):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Base model sellers have increased their prices because R values have gone up because @Exige has got them all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. Only paid £9k for the last one...………….. :eyes:

• WTF WTF x 1
  11. I'll try and remember

12. It's a bit rubbish, it's called burn out and it's basically ducati product placement
    Not a film you need to think about too much :)

13. Are Ducati promoting drug running?
    Or did it break down thus the moral is that Ducati don’t promote drug running with their products as it will end in failure?

14. That's above my pay grade, but I watched it all
    Would make an interesting slogan for them.

15. Picked up my 1098 from a battery and tyre change at ducati manchester yesterday, which was oddly full of men in biker gear just hanging about. Anyhow, having perused their current stock, I came to the conclusion that the 1098 is just a prettier bike than any of the others The exhaust pipes fill the line under the seat beautifully, where in later models, there's just a big gap. Looks better imho.

16. What sort of quality narcotics was affiliated with this bike??

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Base 1198 is a masterpiece. I am certain these will become classics. Theyre insane and make a 1098 look civilised.
    1198 > 1098

I used it to pick up my stash on umpteen occassions.

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information