1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Useful Or Useless Tat?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Robarano, Jul 27, 2016.

1. A Leanometer. That's one way to chuck it through a hedge as you check your lean angle I suppose. :Wideyed:

2. Strange hand movements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yes, he's very err................digital :Nailbiting:

4. It appears to register the max lean of the previous corner after the bike is vertical again, could be fun - but ultimately only one thing will end up happening as you keep breaking your record and hit 90 deg + :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Looks like it just has a tilt switch then just generates a random number somewhere around 25 after 3~4 seconds ... who's gonna know if it's not accurate ?

My vote: useless tat !

6. this vid seems better

7. Already have that on the multi. Linked to an app

8. Not my bag.. Less is more.

If you want to data log, data log.
    Whole range of data can be collected and lot less crap in front of you.. Can even be sent live back to pit wall quite easy these days with mobile phone technology.

That thing is perhaps best suited to a 4x4 crawling a long not wanting to roll over.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  9. Best thing about that video for me was that the camera appears to be on a gimbal :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I think its a good learning tool....you could effectively (standing still) lean your bike over, find the bikes maximum lean angle (without finding out the hard way) ie you lean the bike over looking at the tyre so you can see at what point you still have the total tyre footpring connecting with the road (make a note of the lean angle) then while out riding and mid corner you can then see easily if you've got anything left (angle-wise)

Which app do you use @bradders ? I did try one messing around and couldn't get it working....well it worked but it wanted the phone vertical which was difficult to do with my mount...

#10 comfysofa, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
  11. Useless tat in my humble but I am digging that road from the second video - wish I had me on of those around here....

12. I agree. The less gadgetry you have to distract you from the physical and mental process of riding, the better. Ride to the road and to your ability not to some info display.
    Its like people picking lousy cornering lines in a bid to ride off their chicken strips instead of concentrating on reading the corner properly, getting their timing right and riding smoothly so their speed increases naturally and the chicken strips take care of themselves. I can see this gizmo encouraging some terrible riding styles as people ride beyond their ability trying to push that needle over a little further.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Just ride the dam bike !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. So tat seems to be the consensus. I agree.

15. Nah - id disagree....if youre looking to find the edge of your grip its a handy way of finding out without doing it the hard way....I think its a good idea. Having said that the less clutter that's draped over the bars the better....im surprised the thing isn't a bit smaller - I did notice that in the fitting instructions it needs to be mounted bolt upright...

16. But you'll never know the edge of your grip until......you have no more grip. How's this supposed to help? Getting a reading on the dash won't tell you how close you are to sliding off.

17. well, yeah - that's the point isn't it....youll be able to use the thing (stationary) to see at what angle you have a full contact patch while leant over....

Ill elaborate....let say while stationary you lean the bike over - you get to the edge of the tyre - not off the edge and see an angle on the leanometer of say 48 degrees....you know that when the bike hits 48 degress (while riding) you know that youre safe in that even though the bike feels more leant over than you think you've still got a full contact patch connecting with the road as it would only take another couple of degrees to only have say, half a contact patch - at that point if youre more of a novice you might not be able to feel that difference putting you in dangerous territory so any more throttle at that point and its quite literally hit or miss...

I might not be making myself clear Rob - the difference between grip and contact patch are connected....you could have a full contact patch but could loose grip for something not connected, say drain or something like that....the point I'm making is that at least this thing would tell you "at this angle youre completely connected to the road at this point" or, as best as you can be...meaning the possibility of loosing grip is less than if you were 1 or 2 degrees more and having half a contact patch thus increasing the possibility of loosing grip...

#17 comfysofa, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  18. I get what your's saying about leaning it with no risk, but would that equate in the real world? Wouldn't looking at your tyre after a ride show you how much you have left to go? Surely it's all about how you feel on the bike, for example it for get 55 degress of lean when stationary, but only 50 on the road comfortably, it'd be foolish to chase a number. I agree that it could be used as a tool to try and improve, but there are also other factors at play, road conditions, suspension set up, rider position, tyres and simply going after a number could lead to a mishap.

Just my opinion of course. :upyeah:

19. Yep - i agree - chasing numbers is the wrong way to do it but as you say "road conditions, suspension set up, rider position, tyres" etc etc all play a part but if you know that at a given angle ie the maximum that the leanometer tells you, you know youre good....

Another example: Last year went to Loomies from Bristol - went on my RSV4 with another lad from the af1 forum....id say he was a more experienced rider than me, no kids, and a fair bit more free time on his hands and spent/spends quite a lot of weekends hooning around south wales....ie he rides his RSV4 a hell of a lot more than me/i ride mine....

So, were on our way to Loomies going round some pretty large roundabouts and i feel (on my bike that I'm leant over quite far) but, i see Sean in front of me a fair bit lower so i can see being right behind him that ive actually got a fair bit more to go (as were on the same bikes with the exact same tyres) - which i do and did, and had a load of fun knowing that i had a fair bit more left and still having a full contact patch. The leanometer would aid/add to that.

To go the other way - my hyper has the footpegs sliders worn down from the previous owner - i know ive not gotten over that far but my tyres are scrubbed in right to the edge...

The typed word always comes over in my eyes as argumentative but i don't mean it that way - just a good friendly conversation... :) its nice to hear all the angles (pardon the pun)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Just to add that i did read somewhere on the net from a bike racer/coach/instructor bloke that peoples perceptions when leant over are usually quite far out...ie they think theyre leant over a lot more than they really are - I'm in that category i think....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information