1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V2 V2 Bayliss Yay Or Nay

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by dazthephot, Oct 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Hi everyone.
    I've had my 959 for nearly 4 years and looking toward my next bike but for some reason i'm not seeing much discussion on the impending V2 Bayliss. Are we all a bit underwhelmed or am i missing something?
    I have it on my radar as progression from my 959 and a bike to keep for as long as i can ride a sports bike. My theory being that it's a bit more special than a base V4 which as a good used one is about the same price.

I don't ride on track, mainly spirited road Sunday riding so what do you think?

2. The V2 is faster than everyone on here. It all depends what you want. The Bayliss is a nice bike, but what are you looking for?

3. If road riding I think it comes down to what you'd want to open the garage up to. I think the suspension might be a tad better on the Bayliss and people have said the V2 standard shock isn't great on the road, but you can sort the standard suspension out for less than a grand.

Is there anything about the 959 you really don't like and would like the V2 (standard or Bayliss) to do better?

4. I think for me i want something a little bit more special than a base model and as i don't ride on track i don't need V4 power. So if i trade my 959 for around £9k that leaves £9k to buy my next bike based on the £18k of a V2 Bayliss.

I would have gone for an 1199 Tricolore but i'm a bit worried that they are a bit old and possibly problematic now.

First world problem i know!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Actually mate i love my 959 and i ride it (i feel) very well, i don't have any problems riding with my Fireblade and R1M pals. I have the Ohlins suspension on my Speed Triple and although it's very hard riding normally on our UK bumpy roads once you push it it works very well.
    Having said that my Showa suspension and electronics work extremely well on fast roads.

I guess it's just the fact that i've had it 4 years and at 10k miles i'm ready to change but if the V2 Bayliss or standard isn't rated very highly by the masses i'll have to rethink my choice. I don't want to burn money without weighing my options.

I think i just want something that feels like a bit more special and don't need power bragging rights.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Get a 998s. Or a 996R / SPS.
    Then you will feel special (in a good way).
    The v2 is basically a 959 with better electrics (which it doesn’t really need) and single sided swing arm (which is nice).
    If you have a big triple already, why not roll back the clock with a modern classic?
    Food for thought maybe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It's a good way to think actually. The triple i ride all year (when the weather isn't stupid) the 959 i ride every sunday April to September usually. It's the age/maintenance of a 998 that would put me off as i'm miles away from a dealer or decent independent.

8. As nice as the Bayliss V2 is with the ohlins I personally don't think it's worth the extra money. You can upgrade the stock v2 pani suspension for less than the extra £'s and get a nicer decal kit or the same Bayliss kit for again not too much money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dead easy to work on. For example all bodywork off in literally 10 minutes compared to 45 (if you are reasonably adept) on v2/v4.
    Tons of knowledge on this forum. Parts readily available in the main.
    Will not depreciate anything like a modern bike and may actually go up in value.
    Dry clutch.
    Will keep up with most people on litre bikes in the road.
    The modern bikes are obviously better technically but, they ain’t the daddy are they? And if it’s really character you want……

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Good point.

11. Definitely something to think on. I'm a fairly competent nuts n bolts diy mechanic and would tackle a belt change with some instruction. I do like the modern machines though and the electronics give me an enormous feeling of well being!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Having had the older Ducati's I can say they do have character but they do feel agricultural compared to my V2 pani. The V2 is nicer to ride than all of the other bikes I have had including my last 1198SE; however, and this is the bad bit I felt I had to spend some money on it to get the bike to be what I wanted, which was a full exhaust system with a remap and a rear shock, plus I still need to have the forks improved. Other mods I have done are a personal choice and not necessarily required to improve the bike but I like them so i'm happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. That's a very good opinion based on historical knowledge which is very much appreciated. That kind of lends to buying the Bayliss as it already has the paint job, suspension. Slap a tail tidy on and it's not far off without raiding any more funds.

14. Newer bikes are better technically in just about every way.
    I have been lucky enough to own several new Ducati’s (v4s, 959, Pani R) plus a couple of classics (748r and 996). I’m just trying to add some value to the OP’s thought process.
    Personally, if it’s a modern bike. I would take a v4 over the new v2 every day if the week. The step up from a 959 to v2 is simply not big enough.

15. Very good point. From my perspective would a base V4 make me feel more special than a limited run V2 Bayliss? I don't think i could ride a V4 better, faster, on the road than i ride my 959.

16. Only true answer is to get out and try them all for size. Take your time and the right bike will find you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Very true mate. Thanks

18. You've ridden with, and rated every one of the hundreds of members and guests on here. Or do you mean it can go faster than they can run?

19. Doubling up the £9k you’ve got in in the 959 to the V2 is definitely not going to get you double the bike ! Apologies if that sounds too sensible

20. Nay. Over priced waste of time. Buy a used V4 or 1299s or a new Gixer ;)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information