1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 V2 Or V4?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by RexD, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Hi, I am looking at buying a new bike.

My budget allows me to get a new V2 or I can get a 2018 V4 with only 300km on the clock.

I cannot test the bikes and so I will need to make my decision based on ... you guys : ) That's not entirely true, of course but I would really like to hear your input.

The bike will be used as an all-purpose bike. Commuting, longer rides, vacation and the occasional track day. I had a 959 some years back and I know how that type of bike is (or isn't) suited to that type of riding.

My concern is that I heard so many good reviews on the V4 and on how it is great for everyday riding. But I cannot seem to get comparisons with the V2.

I hope to hear from some of you.

Thanks
    Rex

2. All purpose?
    V2. close thread

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. V4 if it was to be mostly used as a track bike, v2 as an all rounder

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. IMO, the V4 makes no sense as a road bike whereas the V2 hits the sweet spot. When I ran my V4 in from new, it was restricted to 8,500rpm which is over 80mph in first gear. Whilst the V4 is happy at 5,000rpm it’s much happier singing along at 9,000 or 10,000rpm which is ballistic. Feedback on the V2 is very positive both on the road and on track being praised for being less aggressive. As a very happy V4 track rider, I’d recommend the V2. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Only ridden the V4 a couple of times on the road. Its a stunning piece of engineering with staggering performance...but its a complete and utter waste on the road if you value your licence. You can't use it as its intended to be used.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Like them both but V4 pre 2020, V2 post 2020. Just can’t get to like those wings.

7. Use what money you have as a deposit and buy a v4R.:D

8. Buy an Aprilia

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I love my V4S, best money I've ever spent. But as a road bike it's the same as all the latest breed of superbikes, completely overkill! I pretty much only use mine on track but if I was doing a lot of road work it wouldn't be my choice again.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have a 1299 and it’s pointless on the road. Give the throttle a little roll on from 70mph and pretty quickly you showing triple digits. Had it in for a service recently and didn’t bother with the MOT

it’s not going back on the road

• Like Like x 3
  11. My stable includes a 1290 Superduke, 1199 Pani, Ktm 950 SMR and a Hyper 939 SP (Sssssh don’t tell her indoors) The 950 SMR is the best out of the lot on the road, about 108hp with all the mods but it’s just enough a proper street weapon. The 1290 Superduke is monstrous and the Pani is just massive overkill for the road. Big nakeds and big Supermotos are the way to go on the road

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. I have the 1299 for Trackdays

749R because it’s an 04 749R

A heavily modified air cooled 5 speed Thruxton which goes like to should. Only 5 speed but it’s great for rattling around and whacking open the throttle without risking your licence.

K1300S for two up and long distance duties. Probably sell it soon though

13. V2... because it’s £5k cheaper than a base spec V4 and it’s not £5k less bike for road use.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. For road or track? Or both? They're both waay too mental for the road. So get the V4. It's faster :D

dunno how the fuck I worked that out......

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The thing is, just because the V2 is the 'smaller' one, everyone assumes you can still ride it flat out everywhere on the road. You can't..... back in the days of 100hp 600's and the 748/749 putting out about 110hp you could ride them much harder but honestly the V2 is still a bike that when you open the throttle you are doing prison speeds REALLY quickly, just not instantly like on a V4.

I've done 200 miles on my V2 now, it's light in handling, smooth, makes nice power (although I can't really rev mine at the mo, I rode the demo and it has a lovely torque curve) and has all the electronics and is beautifully built. It even has the single sided swingarm with the same wheel design as the standard V4 so you don't have to compromise on anything other than brute power to own it.

For me it's a no brainer, perhaps the V4 is a touch smoother in terms of low speed, but I bet it's geared even longer so not sure. Don't buy the V2 if your heart is saying you have 'wanted' the V4, but personally I think the V2 ticks every box.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The V2 is a more refined 959. They made some significant changes to the V2, so ask questions on these differences 1st off. Not only cosmetically looking with a single sided swing arm, but I think they've improved the head rake angle too amongst other minor changes.

I had a well fettled 899 as a track bike until last year and only struggled on long straights at Track days. The only time you'd notice the different between the V4 or V2 is on the straights anyway. However if you're only doing a few, the V2 will be a better allrounder with more useable power for the road. Not many people with road-going V4's, most are for TD's nowadays. My road bike is a Monster 1200R with about 165BHP, still too much for the road, but nice to know it's there when it's needed, without the 210BHP of the V4. The V2 is about 155BHP, so it's probably plenty for what you're general daily needs are.

The V4's can be brutal at times. The 2020 V4's are a lot smoother in the power delivery than the 2018/19 models, Looks better with the V4R panels, but with plastic 2 piece wings as opposed to the carbon variants.

End of the day it's your money, upto you which 1 you choose

17. Never been on the new V2 but had my V4 over a year now. I love the whole bike. All this talk about too much bike for the road, CRAP.
    I suppose you would not want a go at Katy Perry or Liz Hurley cause their tits are too big.
    All decent sports bike over 600cc could get you the jail. Its about choices. You could have an Audi RS3 or 1.2 Corsa.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. How many points do you have on your license?

19. none now? you?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information