1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 V4 Front End

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Sawnoff78, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Has anyone raised the front of their 18/19 V4 by 4mm like the 2020 bike to improve the front end feel? I’ve seen quite a lot of talk about it on social forums so wondered if anyone has tried it and would recommend it?

I don’t feel as confident on my 2019 V4S front end as I did on my 1199 so am thinking of trying it.

2. The ride height change on the 2020 V4 was not just the front. The rear got a different rear shock rocker that increased the rear ride height and the centre of gravity as well. Just raising the front on a first generation V4 will adversely alter (slow) the turn in. Not doing social media, this is the first time I have heard this modification mentioned. I have had the rear ride height raised by 5mm on my first generation V4S but have yet to try it out. That will be at Donington in 3 weeks. Is yours a base model or an S ? Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah I think the logic behind raising the front was to reduce the nervousness and a quick fix rather than going all the way and doing the rear too.

I’ve got a V4S Corse and will be at Donington too but end of September so will be very interested to get your thoughts Andy.

4. I haven't really ridden a V4 extensively or on track yet, but 'most' 1000's seem to benefit from raising the front.

This was covered extensively by Monners & I in my GSXR1000R thread mate if you want to understand further the reasoning :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Surely raising the front ride height in isolation opens the fork angle which will slow the turn in ? Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Whilst you are correct in theory, most OEM bikes are set very 'pointy' so that they're easier to ride for the masses as most riders aren't particularly quick in general.

Unfortunately even if you're half quick you'll find that due to you putting more forces through the front end and the bike in general that the bike feels fidgety and nervous as the higher the speed the more things are amplified.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. I clearly have yet to get to that stage. The V4S was such huge improvement over the 1098R, I had to re-learn Almeria as the braking and turn in points could be much, much later. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. Raising the front end and indeed the whole bike raises the centre of gravity meaning it falls in quicker.. not a new phenomenon ... they are doing it with 748 etc...

9. How did you get on at Donington Andy? Did the ride mods make a difference? I was there on Tuesday and although the bike was awesome I still don’t have the confidence or feeling in the front end like I did on my 1199 so I want to make some changes to rectify this. If raising the rear ride height 5mm and dropping the forks 4mm worked for you I’ll try that.

10. Are you running stock settings? I’ve recently custom fixed mine on the V4s and taking most of the spring preload off the rear. Less compression damping and slightly increased rebound. Increased the front damping and rebound ever so slightly. So no more dynamic adjustments in the modes. It’s transformed the ride and gives far more confidence and control. It definitely pays to play around:)

11. So I only raised the rear ride height by 5mm as I felt I had no issue with my V4’s turn in at Almeria. Having not been to Donington for 15 years and not ridden the bike for over a year, I found the track challenging to re-learn but by the end of the day I could not get my head around was turn 1, I either braked far too early or left it almost too late so was never smooth which screwed the line for turn 2. Nor could I judge the braking point for the old hairpin because of the slight rise just before the hairpin. The only places I gained on the faster riders (that’ll be most of them) were the Foggy Esses, where the bike was very stable in the left and right flick so I was able to get off the brakes and on the throttle early and the Melbourne loop where the front end felt planted and I could trail brake almost to the apex. I have no measure to say categorically the ride height change had a noticeable positive effect, I’ll have to wait until May next year at Almeria where I have times for comparison for that. I don’t think the change made a noticeable negative effect because the only ‘moment’ was when I almost out braked myself at turn 1 and was heading for the gravel ....... which I missed by the width of the curb. Andy

12. So a few bits of info as i have a 2020 base v4
    Ohlins currently list their GP TTX rear shock eye to eye as 310mm except for the R which is 312.
    My std sachs shock i took off is 312mm eye to eye.
    The part numbers on my 2020 base for the rear shock knuckle and the two bars, is now the same as the ones listed for the R

My original front marzocci forks are the same length top to spindle as the ohlins FGRT 214 i have. The ohlins is 25mm longer in the outer tube than the marzocci.
    The marzocci sits as std in the bottom yoke 180mm from bottom of yoke to end of fork outer/seal joint and flush with the top of the top yoke.
    Because the ohlins is 25mm longer in the outer i originally placed my FGRT 214 205 mm below the bottom of the bottom yoke putting the spindle in the same place and the top of the fork flush with the top of the top yoke.
    Now every other v4 i have seen seems to have 5mm protruding above the top yoke. from JHP maintained bikes to a track bike snells created.....

these two things contradict with where the height of the front should be...

13. Yeah I haven’t touched the settings so it’s stock. I’ll definitely have a play around before I do any hardware adjustments - thanks for the feedback.

14. Turn 1 (Redgate) I love but I know what you mean, it’s tricky to consistently hit the right line on entry and exit, especially when other riders are around you. But get it right and it feels amazing. I struggled a bit on Craners to the Old Hairpin as I just didn’t trust the front end enough but from the exit of the Old Hairpin all the way to the entry of Goddards it felt amazing.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information