1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 V4 Oil Change

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Cream_Revenge, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Picked up from FB:

This seems to have been more confusing that it was intended. So a quick explanation.. the V4 motor takes at least 2.5 hours after running at full temperature for the oil sight glass to give an accurate level reading, so we leave the bike to settle while the service is complete and customer has his coffee or takes a demo bike for a ride and we carry out the other service items, then check the level. If it's OK then we remove the oil, which can take an hour to drain fully. then replace it with the same amount (in kgs, so we are not comparing volumes of warm vs cold and not pouring hot oil about in measuring jugs). Then run the bike to temperature and we know the level is correct. it's the simplest and safest way to know without waiting another 2.5 hours. Ducati suggest this procedure to ensure the bike isn't over filled and all dealers will be doing this. We thought it would be interesting to see.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Thread moved

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sounds bonkers to me.

1. 2 1/2 hours to warm up? How long does it take for the temp gauge to register the normal working temp?

2. It isn't the exact amount of oil that's critical, but that there is enough surely?

... and lastly, how on earth does Ducati come up with a capacity figure? Surely, they know well what it takes. and they'll (surely?) take account of heat expansion...

4. Not 2.5hrs to warm up, it’s takes that time for all the oil to return to the sump when the motor is turned off and give an accurate level reading.
    Measuring the weight speeds things up a little without having to wait for the sump to fill and check the level.
    The V4 runs scavenge pumps to return the oil to the sump when running. When the motor is off, then the oil flow back to the sump is very, very slow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sounds a PITA. Can see a lot of "I over filled my oil " threads in a few years when people start doing at home. (Or between track days).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I guess its the price you pay for having 200+ bhp.

Super bikes are closer to race bikes than ever before and require similar levels of engineering. They have become the biking equivalent of the super cars.

7. dont all ducatis take a while to get a true reading on the oil sight glass after running at full temperature...

8. What if the oil level isn't correct in the 1st place? It will simply be refilled to the incorrect level if being substituted like for like by weight. :thinkingface:

Surely after turning the bike off and waiting 5 mins, 99% of the oil will be back in the sump. :thinkingface: Sounds like Audi-esq bollocks to me. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. They wait 2 1/2 hour's for sight glass to be correct. After draining they weigh and add extra if required (determined by the 2 1/2 hour wait).

10. So how long does a service take?

11. Won't be long before bikes have electronic oil levels like cars, most bmw,Volvo, Audi and mercs don't have dip sticks now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Or cost depending on the full time required to do the job

13. I'm fairly sure any reputable garage would get on with other tasks while the oil drained or "stop the clock" rather than just watch it dripping for an hour.

14. Yeah, 2 of my cars have level transmitters. Not a fan tbh. I mean- wtf can possibly go wrong with a dip stick?? Why fuck with it?

And you have to sit in neutral for up to 45 seconds with a warm engine. You can't just nip out and check your oil level like normal people. It's a fuckaboot....

#14 Mary Hinge, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Saw this on FB with MotoRapido. Not a problem. Drop your oil over night, weigh it for reference and put back fresh oil. Sounds fairly straight forward to me. Mrs might kick off a bit when I traipse through the kitchen and commandeer her baking scales for a minute.... but hey ho....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ducati list a flat time of 2 hours for the oil/annual service. Same as the V2's, so you don't pay for the time to allow the oil to correct itself. Goes thru the shop a little slower, but no drama :) As workshop knowledge builds and experience improves, then it'll be quicker as the volumes/weights get to be noted.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dunno bout anyone else, but I always leave mine overnight anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 4 hours mine.

19. Picked up my v4 level bottom sight glass put in half a litre which was top mark of 2 marks on glass so underfilled, had it,s first 600 miler service checked next morning half a litre overfilled!

20. So if they weigh the old oil that’s come out but then (sensibly) put the correct quantity back in - what’s the point in weighing the old stuff? Just to make sure there’s the correct amount? Is weight scales really that important and essential? Surely decanting the old stuff into a jug to check how much came out would suffice - followed by simply adding x number of litres (verified by a sight glass) - which is how I believe it’s being done anyhow?

Sounds like a faff to me...

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information