1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 V4 Panigale Cracked Screen

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by repsol67, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Has anybody got/had a crack on their V4 instrument cluster?
    Mine just developed a crack yesterday.
    Im guessing its the heat or direct sunlight???
    I had the same on my 1299 and Ducati wanted nothing to do with it.
    My V4 has done 5k miles and the warranty expired approximately 6 months ago.

2. Ducati service history?

3. I find it incredible that a 20 odd grand bike carries such an historic problem for so long. It's all down to QC/bean counters. Can you imagine the fuss if it were a Ford Focus with cracking instrument screens?

Hope you get it sorted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Consumer Rights Act. Not fit for purpose.
    It’s s known problem across many models.
    If you have legal help tied in with a house insurance policy or bank account go that route. Or join Which and access their legal team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I have an mate who works as an automotive designer/engineer, the boring stuff like electric windows etc.

He worked for Lucas back in the 80’s on ECU’s, Vauxhall wanted them cheaper so Lucas designed faults into them that wouldn’t surface until after the warranty had expired. It couldn’t be just a common fault though it needed to be multiple faults.

Sounds like the same idea is being worked here.

• WTF WTF x 2
  6. Doesn’t surprise me. Look at the way Apple design their products to evaporate after a set time. So you have to go and buy new stuff. Criminal really…. But they rule the globe, so we’re fucked… :astonished:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I haven't read anything about screens cracking on Jap bikes.

8. Erm. Right. That’s lovely :neutral:

9. Hiding behind an alias, and making snide comments...

10. What would you expect from 15k Japanese budget bike? Dig a little bit deeper in your pocket and then you'll have the privilege to a cracked screen :):)

11. Got a brand new screen thanks.

12. Yes, full service history. I'm not holding my breath with help from the dealer I bought it from either, Ducati Glasgow and they just got bought over from Ducati Manchester and their in the middle of moving premises just now. Also anual service coming up and they cant do it till September so I may go independent but wondering if this will effect my chances of a goodwill gesture??

13. The goodwill comes from Ducati, and I'd have thought they'd prefer their own dealer history.

14. All bikes have faults. BMW sthou's QS used to go pop. Would they front up and pay for it? Would they fuck. Mateys had gen1,2 & 3 and a couple of HP4's. Hes forked out for two new QS. Dig a little deeper and jap bikes have similar. TL1000S anyone? Also the plastic on the sthou is awful.

15. I can only speak from personal experience. The only thing that went wrong on my S1000RR in 11000 miles and 6 years was the ABS control unit. That was 2 or 3 years out of warranty, and BMW paid the £1200 for the part. It had full BMW history, but that was only oil & filter changes for the final 4 years.

16. Now now kids, be good :joy: this isn't facebook

17. Apple products, spawn of the Devil IMHO, had a couple of iPhones and iPads a few years back. Couldn't wait to toss them in the bin. Went over to Samsung and seven years later still never looked back. Rock solid platforms, configurable in a way Apple owners can only dream of and you can expand the memory in them without being charged a fortune for a pricier model (Apple's M.O. for almost all their products) You also dont need a separate bank account for all the proprietary leads and connectors you are forced to buy, when in contrast I just use industry standard ones at a fraction of the cost. Apple also build in obsolesence with every software upgrade on your iOS device, so each time you install one, your processor becomes noticeably slower and slower until the point where you either ditch it or fork out for the next "iSawYouComing" model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Samsung = pikey phone for chavs. Ner.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Given the screen's propensity to crack (as widely reported on the 899/1199/1299 LCD and TFT screens) it's more likely due to the thermal expansion/contraction of the screen and housing, in the range of UK temperatures it gets subjected to. Of the two extremes, direct sunlight and heat seem to be it's biggest enemy. I had some heat reflective matting stitched to a small piece of fabric and if I park up in warm/sunny weather, I normally cover the screen with it. It rolls up into a small cylinder when not in use so it's easy to fit under a seat (even with the non existent space available on most models)

• Like Like x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  20. Not to mention they sponsor Chelsea, so Samsung = pikey phone for racist chavs

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information