1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Quality Issue Engine Sump Casing Material

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Tony H. V4, Mar 21, 2021.

1. have a streetfighter V4 2020. Its garaged and only sees dry weather. It's done 650 miles. I checked the underneath of the bike at the oil filter area and the engine case is breaking up as if there is a quality metal issue with the casting. Has anyone come across this before?

20210319_112539.jpg

20210319_112436.jpg

• WTF WTF x 3
  2. Resembles the underside of my 24 year old 900ss!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jesus! Think I’ll check my V4 from that angle while it’s in bits.
    I’d definitely be arguing that with the dealer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. It's going in for its first service on 29th of this month at moto rapido. I actually bought it from Ducati Manchester but I expect any Ducati dealership to deal with quality issue such as this. I have emailed them and sent photos and spoken directly with the workshop manager who says the will need to see it physically before they can do anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Christ, that does look dire. I’m pretty certain my 2018 V4S doesn’t look like this. I’ll double check today.

For MY20 with 600 odd miles Ducati U.K. should address this. Unless the 600 miles were through salty winter crud then left for 6 months....

6. All dry miles no wet weather riding. Only purchased in November 2020

7. Fucking hell. I've had my own concerns about Ducati quality for a while now. It looks like my 1998 916 after 27k, wet and salty roads and wear and tear. Thats not good. I hope you get recompense for that.

8. Hmmm, thing is riding on winter roads (even if bone dry) will sling a saline dust on the underside of your engine. When the engine cools it draws moisture. Boom... a shitty little cocktail to corrosionville I’m afraid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. But looking at the pictures again I would say it looks like chipping damage rather than corrosion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bike washed properly after every ride. Not expected after 4 months! Never had this issue with any other bike I've owned

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The oil filter cover plate isn't chipped

12. Just after world peace and total enlightenment is found, Ducati shall get paint to stick to engine cases !

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Maybe they forgot the primer!

14. That is defiantly corrosion, pitting on the cover and looks to be a little crevice corrosion lifting the anodising.

what are you using to wash the bike? Hard water area? water softener (salt)? pressure washer?

15. No pressure wash. Turtle wax wash liquid. The casing has a chunk of metal missing. Surely that pints to a lack of proper paint protection! Only ridden the bike 7 times in dry weather.

16. Firstly welcome. Secondly I’m sure that if you contacted the dealership you bought it from that they’d collect it from you to look at/rectify it if it’s faulty workmanship/materials.

17. It should be dealt with by any Ducati UK Dealership shouldn't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. If it is corrosion its should be through the casing and into the big ends by November this year. Good paint protection for 17.5k!

19. A 2020 bike with 650miles should not look like that, with or without salt on the road. Its a road bike, sold in the UK so it should be reasonable fit for purpose. You didn't buy a summer, dry day only bike, with warning to wash and dry it immediately after use.

BTW my 2002 Monster is in far better condition than that and it's done 38K.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Looks the same has happened to the actual cover as well as the sump casing, I recon they are going to say it’s salt corrosion? :(

Still poor though, that paint on the bottom of the sump behind it is thinner than a fag paper! A quick Google search and I found images of V4 pani’s looking like they’d been sand blasted, one of them even had a hole punched through it from a stone, people making diy sump guards for them.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information