1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Tyre Pressures!

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Chillo, May 24, 2018.

1. FFF304A9-E45B-4087-81B6-791C79345BFA.jpeg Hi all,

What tyre pressures are recommended?
    I’ve dropped mine to 30 & 30, I’ve got a bit of blistering on the rear whilst running in:yum (not hard use) :p

2. 30 is too low on the front, it should be at least 32. We're running 35psi on the new Metzeller and Pirelli front tyres on track this year. For the rear it depends how hard you are going, for normal street hooning it's about right. It's difficult to see from your picture if there's any hot or cold tearing but if there is it's not too bad, but maybe starting to tear and may get worse if you start to use more revs. The way to check is to carry a mini tyre gauge and check the pressures are staying consistent. If they are going up after hard use then you need to let some air out.

3. Hmmm ok, little different to what I was using on the 1299. I didn’t say but it 30 & 30 cold pressure I’m using.

On track with the 1299 I was using 25 cold in the rear.

I’m off to the TT next week and putting Metzeler Racetec RR k1 on the front

#3 Chillo, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  4. I'm no expert nor a gifted amateur but that looks like hot tear to me so you need a pound or 2 more pressure in that tyre. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  5. I found with my favoured Mezteler Racetec RR k1 front on the 1299s that 29 cold was about right. tried it with 30 and 31 and felt a bit vague and that I couldn't push it as much!
    -this is on the road btw.
    I do push the bike hard ;)

i'll give 32 cold in the rear a try, not much info out there on the right pressures to use in new 200/60 tyre!

#5 Chillo, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  6. What tyre did you have on the back of your 1299 (another K1?) and what pressure were you running? Ever go on track? Just started using a K1/K2 combination on my 1199 on track and interested in best pressure combinations. Metzeler suggested a 29f/26b psi starting point.

Cheers,

RW

7. 32/32 I used to run my SC at on road.

I do wonder how the slip-control is going to affect tyre wear.

8. Had a k3 on the back of my 1299, did quite a bit of track time on it! Mainly at Cadwell. Used to run about 25-26 cold (on track). 30 cold on road

#8 Chillo, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. View attachment 121936 View attachment 121937 I was at Cadwell last Monday evening for first time on track with the v4s (9 months since last on track so a bit rusty!)
    Tyre tech set my pressures at 36F (hot) and 26R (hot).
    At first I thought that sounded to high for the front but tbh they worked perfectly and after 4 hard sessions no tearing at all.
    Will check what the cold pressures are as I rode it straight home and put it in the garage. Going to add 2-3psi to the rear for road use, not sure about the front.
    Really need to move some weight bias over the front! Got some onboard footage that I’ll share when I get it off the memory card.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I wud check ur tyre gauge chillo 30psi on the road should be fine it looks to me the pressures a little too high can u send a foto ov the front tyre

11. I have dun 2 track days on mine snett & silverstone & found 26/27 hot on the rear works well & I was told 30 in the front hot but found it was not getting hot enough so after playing around found 34 hot works well so very much like ur pressures, I have also geared mine down front & rear & found it much better & I found a surplier that didn't rip me off on the price , ru doing donnington 5th july its a ducati only day 20180614_140008.jpg

12. u need to get some chain lube on it chillo lol

#13 COOL-HAND-AL, Jun 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ECA799DB-AE43-4ED8-8CEA-7ADE3CDD5D9A.jpeg
    Front!
    The tyre tech set the pressures for me and checked again after a session :)

14. Id like to do Donny on the 5th but it would losing a days money :(
    Have you changed your rear ride height or dropped the forks? I was struggling with the front being very light a lot! (and I don’t mean wheelies!) Really needs more weight over the front!

15. the front looks like its working perfect mate

16. which part ov the circuit was it feeling lite at cadwell

17. Yeah I’m pretty happy with the way they were working on track. Will be chucking a K1 Racetec on the front asap though as not a fan of the oem SP tyres. However I think the rear SP V3 with the SC2 edges is pretty good so will see when Metzeler release their 200/60 if I stay with that.
    I didn’t change the pressures back to normal road pressures for the ride home from Cadwell and it was sliding a lot! Will get some more air back in it, at least 30 & 30

#18 Chillo, Jun 23, 2018
  18. off Charlie’s 2 onto park the front was vague as I was going down the slight dip and the left hand kink back up to park corner

#19 Chillo, Jun 23, 2018
  19. Update:

So 32 in the front cold is pretty much spot on as i checked it after a hoon and it was 36 hot :)
    For the rear 30 cold had it up to 36 hot, I dropped it to 28 cold and had 34 hot, still to high. So I’m going to try dropping a few more psi down to 24 cold and hopefully that will work out at 27ish. Obviously Road needs to bit of a compromise though.

#20 Chillo, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
Do Not Sell My Personal Information