1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4r V 25th Anniversary 916

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by JohnnySea, May 20, 2020.

1. Considering replacing my V4S with something that's going to suffer a little less depreciation. Am tossing up between these two fine steeds.

Am interested in views on which one you'd prefer and why?

2. honestly looking at the amount of 916 V4's sat on ebay at the moment for sale I would say it's NOT the way to go. there were 6 of them a few days ago, zero miles sat in stock.

An 'R' model Ducati for me is always the way to go over special paint versions, the thing with R's is they all seem to drop, level and then go up massively, so perhaps an early V4R has done that, or one that's above average miles has done, and if you aren't going to do the miles you can watch it appreciate with time.

Just my 2P worth, I'm no expert apart from if it's selling stuff that a year later was worth about £3k more.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. I thought the same about the 25th anniversary but I've since been told that it has quite a few trick parts on it. I'm not sure how true this is so will have to look into it. Personally, I much prefer the look of the R but the 25 Anniversary is a limited edition of 500 units so sooner or later they are going to become collectors items whereas with the R they will make as many as they can sell and you're relying on people crashing or modifying them to get numbers of quality stock samples to go down and prices to go up.

4. but if the 500 are sat on dealer floors, they are soon going to start knocking chunks off them. Which means you are in for the long game, and probably the REALLY long game.. what are they, £36k? what if a few dealers knock £3k off them to try and shift them, and put some margin between them and the V4R? I'm not sure, I think for investments I don't envy your choice right now, are you going to ride it? If not then perhaps SL/Final Edition 1299 are starting to become better propositions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Personally would go for a real “R” the 916 V4 looks like it’s the winning design of an infant schools design a bike competition.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. go for the R

7. Its getting as bad as the Porsche forums on here, if its just about values then pick a few FTSE/Nasdaq tech stocks and you'll likely get a better return than any of these in 3/5/7 et al years ....

Then you'll all be moaning no one can buy the halo bikes as the 'speculators' have them ....

If I had 35k, I wouldn't spend it on a bike !!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  8. What's wrong with wanting a great bike and also not wanting to lose money? I don't want to make money I'm just sick of paying good money only to see the bike / car depreciate demonstrably in short order.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I agree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The v4 is not Ducati's finest looking bike. The 916 anniversary, honestly it looks like someone found a sticker kit from a market store in the 80's and stuck it on a v4.

Honestly, it's too new a model, with not a great take up and considerable depreciation. If I had £37k to spend on a ducati that I could ride occasionally and see increased value, I would buy a 748R and a 999R and forget the v4

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. They all lose money, quickly at first then slowly, also discretionary spending budgets are about to get decimated when we come out of furlough / govt support and huge swathes across the classes will not have jobs to go back to.

If you are keeping it medium to long term makes no odds where the value ends up ....

If you don't want to lose money then vehicles aren't for you .... just get a 10k 1199s, you'll still have a great bike and even if in 3 years it loses 50%, who gives a s**t ....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Who remembers the initial depreciation on the Paul Smart and Sport Classics. They’ve bounced somewhat from the lowpoint, but with the V4R and 25 Anniversario you are starting off at a £10k premium over a V4S.

What is available about three years old with one owner fsh and low miles as that’s where you may get a bargain. Buy low and it’s easier to sell at a profit!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. I would choose an R over that 916 "gimmick"
    However, if you buy an R that will also depreciate unless you plan to keep it in the living room for 20 years and then might get what you paid for + inflation and a bag of chips. (not to mention the inevitable change from petrol to electric is an unknown factor for future value)
    Once you start riding the bike, let's say 2000miles a year it will still end up with 20k on the clock in 10 years, therefore not collector’s item anymore. (also, the R servicing is more expensive compared to base models ?)

In my opinion the best way to "digest" the depreciation is to keep the bike for as long as possible or buy a low mileage used bike where the first owner took the big hit.

#15 alexko, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Johny, apart from the two bikes I mentioned both being fantastic, they are from new, a 18 year old bike and a 16 year old bike to get to a place where they are more than their original purchase price.

Do you feel the v4 of any kind is such a popular bike that if you kept it for 16 years, it would be worth more than you paid for it annnd, would you actually keep it for 16 years?

At the end of the day, it is your money your choice, so by all means take in the opinions you asked for and were offered and then do what you feel is best for you

15. I bought a 10 year old 6oo hornet, Had it four years and doubled the mileage on it and sold it for £250 less than what I paid for it . That's what you need if you don't like losing money on bikes .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Buy a panigale R v2 and pocket the change.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. 1098R or Panigale R (v2) and trouser the difference. Neither will depreciate!

#19 JoeC, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  18. At last some sense on the thread :):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information