1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4s Gearing

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Mary Hinge, Jul 3, 2020.

1. I’m about to replace my chain and sprockets on the V4S. I’m going down to 520 gauge.
    It’s a track only bike so would I make sense to lower the gearing a tad?? Even harder acceleration!!! :D:astonished:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wotcha going to go to ? Had an interesting conversation this morning, got to talking about rear ride height and some people with 1st gen bikes are trying the rocker linkage from the 2020 bikes. It raises the ride height but softens the early compression which is ideal for a road bike but not so much for the track. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mate, you is a bad one, innit. :punch:

4. Put your rear sprocket on the front and visa versa o_O it will be well slick :motorcycleduc::bomb:

#4 Exige, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2020
  5. +10 on the rear. Way to go! :)

6. The only track I’ve hooked top is the main straight at Valencia. But I was well off the limiter so guess there’s more possible acceleration to be had :D neeeyoowwwmmm :motorcycleduc:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Are you using second at the hairpin and Goddards at Donington and do you have good drive out of those corners?

8. Alright matey, old hairpin I usually carry decent speed in so 3rd gives me good drive out. Goddards I take in 2nd... It’ll be quite buzzy with one down on the front.

9. I took the V4r out at snett earlier this week(first time)I have put race chain and sprockets on but retained std gearing! Definitely need to get larger rear sprocket!

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. That can be the problem if you gear down too much then the gear changes can get a bit frantic and you find you need another gear whilst still cranked over coming off the apex.
    Sometimes better to just use the torque and keep the revs lower.
    Might be worth trying a tooth or two different on the rear just to see.

11. Hmmm, you’re right. My bike standard is perfect for barrelling out of Copice, my favourite corner. But you can never have a gear setting perfect for a whole track. You’ll win some lose some :):upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Think I’m going to go 1 down on the front and 2 up on the rear with a 520 chain over winter. At portimao my speedo showed 180mph and still in 5th, 6th just isn’t needed with standard gearing!

Main reason is because I want sexy gold stuff though, and I hate going to 1st as it’s scary coming out of corners so will mean I can hold 2nd for slower corners and be closer to the power.

13. Thread revival, does anyone know the standard sprocket sizes?

14. The rear’s about the size of a 45 single record, maybe a bit smaller. The front’s about, pfft, can’t think what to compare it to…

Is there any of that Renthal stuff on stock now? All the race teams bought it up last year. Greedy bastards…

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I meant more tooth quantities

Do Not Sell My Personal Information