1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 V4s Suspension Settings

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by jj996, Jul 11, 2019.

1. I currently have a V4S and was out for a spirited ride at the weekend with Dukepaul (V4S) and Chillo(V4R) and towards the end of the ride Chillo had my arm around my back forcing me to have a go on the V4R trying to convince me that the R model was a different level....yeah yeah.
    Anyway, after the spirited test ride, both Dukepaul and I had the same opinion...…..Feck YEAH....Different gravy woohoooooo.
    What surprised me was how compliant the suspension was, I was expecting a bucking bronco like my 1199R, but no the bike was a proper game changer and those wings definitely keep the front end on the road as the bike just flawlessly followed the undulations whereas the V4S would have been getting the front air and possibly shaking its head.
    Anyway back to the reason for this thread, once you start pushing the V4S the bike does start bucking and weaving a little and many have said that the rear is too stiff and the front too soft, there are also many that have made changes to their bike but have been very coy to the actual settings they had changed - For starters is there anyone out there that has actually set their Sag on their V4S who could advise what they changed to initially get the static sag in the ball park since this would not be rider weight dependant and would be a good starting point before seeing what rider sag would be.
    I have noticed that the marker on my front suspension is fully deployed and I will either have to increase the preload or put some additional compression on.
    I weigh 180lbs are there any V4S owners willing to advise what changes they had made to their bike and whether it was for fast road (undulating) or smooth track use?

2. I think Dave Moss in the US mentioned some basic track settings to be getting on with. Probably a video or two on Youtube lurking about which might assist you. Might be worth dropping him an email maybe or contact MCT suspension in Stowmarket, as I believe they have set up a few for trackdays/road use.

3. Yes Dave Moss has done quite a few, but its like they are keeping settings under wraps due to Dave Moss charging a fee for a setup video for the V4S,would be nice if people let us know the basics which Dave Moss has worked on.

4. I’m 107kg in my birthday suit and for the running in period, I kept it in Street, full auto electronic but softened both compression and rebound to about 5 or 6 from memory. Kept the front preload as stock but backed the rear off to about 5mm. For my first track outing stuck it in Race and just let it do its thing (keeping the same preload as Street) which worked for me. Got the tyre pressures about right so the tyre wear was surprisingly good. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  5. I find it hard to believe that you were feeling the effect of the wings keeping the front down at average road speed on the R considering the actual speeds the aero is designed for. It was more likely the more compliant suspension as you said and less torque making it easier to drive. There isn't much difference in the spec (if any) of the suspension between the two, besides the manual adjusters so there is no reason why you can't get a similar feel.

I wouldn't use somebody elses base figures really as everybody wants different things and the use can vary hugely. The sag should be set at the very least and then you can experiment with settings to get a feeling you like. Or if you wish head somewhere and get a suspension place to set it up.

6. Yeah, my V4S is a bit of a bucking bronco on the gas exiting corners (I'm 85kg). I've left it totally factory standard for now but I'm taking it for suspension fettling when I get home. I'll share any findings/settings on here :upyeah:
    Also saw on a youtube vid, a heavier oil replacing OE oil in forks.....

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information