1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Valve Clearance Service Interval

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Dark-MOz, Feb 25, 2018.

1. have just put a deposit on a 749 Dark. Good history with belts being done roughly every 2 years and being done again as part of the deal.

Bike has 9050 miles on it and is in good condition.

What it the mileage requirements for a valve check please?

#1 Dark-MOz, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. Every 6k but most trusted mechanics (I'm not one) say don't normally require adjusting till 8-9k. If it hasn't had them done they need checking/doing.

It's not a small job I'm afraid.

3. Bugger..... oh well. The dealer still has he bike. I’ll see if he can get the guy doing the belts to do it too.....

4. Not done before now then?

5. Not specifically listed in the history. Just dates, mileage’s and stamps with “belts changed” handwritten in. I’m pretty sure Italsport in Bury has looked after it and according to the dealer the previous owner was fairly tech sympathetic. I think the dealer will get Italsport to do the belts as part of the deal so I can always contact hem direct.

6. Contacted Italsport via Facebook and he has confirmed the valves were done as per the service schedule. Happy days.

• Like Like x 3
  7. I also wonder that because my 749 is a later model 06 with the Testastretta engine shouldn’t the valve job be cheaper due to the easier access to them???

8. My trusted mechanic garage (Ducati trained) said unless your pinging in the red all the time you don't need to do the valve clearance as often, every 10-12k for peace of mind... or some will say, "if it ent broke don't fix it"

TBH I've only had done once, last year by the main deal when I had running dead issues, new fuel pump n did the valve clearances for free, all I paid for was the parts to do the job.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Your right older model servicing cost per hour is cheaper than new models

10. Are there any things too look for (ie cutting out running issues) to suggest they need doing... my 07 dark has covered 7k and don't think it has been done. Anyone know of a ducati mech near Hull?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information