1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Clearance Service On 797

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Juan Martin, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Hello

Currently deciding between getting myself a 797 or a 821. I was going to go for the 797 due to my limited budget but I found out on Ducati's official website that the valve clearance service intervals on the 797 is due every 7,500 miles, and every 18,000 miles on the 821. Taking into account that this major servicing is quite pricey and I do on average 6,000 miles a year I figured out that in the long run the 821 will probably work out cheaper.

So, I have just phoned an official Ducati dealer and they told me that the intervals for the valve clearance service on the 797 is due every 15,000 miles. And this is got me confused. Should I go by the dealer's word or the website's word? The way I see it, a 15,000 miles interval for the 797 makes more sense than a 7,500 miles... however, on the website does say 7,500 miles.

Can anyone shed some light because I am really confused.

Thanks

2. Just had a quick look online at other bikes with the same engine, monster 796 and scrambler. Everything I can see says 7500 miles. Are you buying from an official dealer ? If so ask the one you are buying from to confirm the mileage and if it makes you feel more comfortable get it in writing.

3. Dealer is wrong (worry) it is 7500miles as the engine is Scrambler 800

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yes that's what I thought - 7,500 miles, as it says on the website. But just thinking... is it that much difference engine wise between the 797 and the 821?

5. They are very different engines, the 797 is a 2 valve air cooled and the 821 is a 4 valve water cooled . I`ve not ridden a 797 but I did several hundred miles on a 796 my Mrs used to own and have recently done a couple of hundred on an 821. No idea what you are looking at spending but if it was my money out of those two I`d go for the 821 even if it meant buying an older one to be affordable.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information