1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Damage

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Coupe58, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Hi all, just trying to get to the bottom of stuck engine on my 97 750ss I think it's a bent valve as sparkplug is flattened on front cylinder I can push bike forward and backwards but not a complete cycle, Thus not allowing me to check timming marks they look to be about 2 teeth out .Am going to pull head off but was wondering the correct procedure to align timming marks on reassembling is it just a case of aligning timming marks on pulleys for both cylinders and fitting belts or do they have to be synced to main drive pulley Really hoping it's just valve problems as engine was a none runner when purchased fingers crossed, any advice would be great

2. The cams have to be timed with the crank pulley.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. If the spark plug has hit the piston; to me, that sounds worse than just a bent valve. It suggests that the spark plug is too long; or the piston has come up higher than it should; or even maybe if a bent valve has smashed the piston crown.

As Birdie says, both cam pulley timing marks and the crank pulley marks should all be aligned at the same time.

4. i would suspect the head of the valve has broken off. It will have bounced about and smashed the spark plug and will now be weged in the top of the piston. when the puston goes up the wedged valve stops it going all the way and locks the engine.
    it happened to me on my 916sp engine.
    i had my head repaired at an engineering workshop in Northallerton. he also sourced me some Forged Valves which were far cheaper than Ducatis 2 piece friction welded stuff

5. Don't worry about re-timing belts on assembly, there are plenty of people on here who will talk you through the procedure, best get the head off as you say and see how bad the bad news is. Hopefully it's the horizontal cylinder? which means you might be able to fix the whole thing in situ

6. Y

Yes it's the horizontal bore trying to remove head ,ahhh one more nut! Will keep you posted on outcome thanks for all your replies Terry

Just got the head of you guys where right the inlet valve had snapped clean off once off had been pulverised into a nice petal shape! This has left me with a barrel with gouges in and also in top of piston Not sure which way to go now any ideas appreciated .

#6 Coupe58, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2017
  7. In your original post you say you got it as a non runner. So I assume you have no idea how fast it was going when it went bang
    I was lucky in one respect as I was pulling out of a junction when mine went and it stopped dead.
    You need a new head or repair. Repair will cost you about £400
    You need a new barrel and piston and it's quite possible that the rod is bent. The exhaust valve could be bent as well
    You also need the cases splitting to clean out all the swarf from the busted valve and piston.

8. I tend to agree, you're either in for a major engine strip to fully ascess the damage or else source a secondhand running engine that you can preferably hear going before you buy (not that easy).

Really depends on how good you are with the spanners and how much you really like the bike I guess.

If all else fails, then break it for spares and you'll probably get most of your money back if you have the time and inclination?

9. I had a belt go at 90 and only bent 1 valve.
    S/h valves are rare as rh pooh.

• Like Like x 1
  10. My experience dropped inlet on after market Daytona Cams, vertical cylinder cam not good? valve head bounces around smashes head, sparkplug ends jammed in piston crown?
    valve timing jumped after cam locked?
    hope works out well

11. Go a new 954cc big bore kit and a set of keihiens, then its starting to go?
    Daytona cams my road engine in Patersons ducati's drag frame ran high 10sec, fix it better?

12. That's an awful lot of money to spend out on a 750, especially if the OP has a engine strip and other OEM expensive bits to find - besides, don't forget the 750 engine isn't just 150cc smaller than the 900 (just thought I would mention that bit).

IIRC the 750 big bore kit can only go to about 825cc.

#12 Ghost Rider, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stein Dinse do valves. A full engine strip and rebuild could be costly if it's damaged inside. Bearing etc can be costly.

14. Thanks guys,managed to remove barrel yesterday couldn't believe how hard it was to remove due to rusty head bolts but it finally gave way. How much play should be in connecting rods as I can see some movement in big end bearing not to sure if this is correct.May just look for good used 97 98 engine Also the gouge in piston crown could this still be used or would it effect running of engine and cause piston to fail ,this is also the case on cylinder head next to valve there is a moon shape indentation caused by valve raduis thanks terry

Do Not Sell My Personal Information