1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Grinding Indian Style

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by CRYSTALJOHN, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Thought this might be of interest to a few on here.

This is the superb mechanic who services my bike, a Bajaj Pulsar 180 Dtsi that I bought second hand 10 years ago in India ,fitting new valves to a Pulsar cylinder head and grinding the valves .
    I had just had my bike worked on by him,new camshaft and camshaft support bearings, valve clearances adjusted, new rear brake shoes general spit and polish all round, bike running perfectly.
    The bill was 960 rupees, that equates to £10! dropped the bike in at 9:00am, picked it up at 5:00pm with only 24 hrs notice that I wanted the work carried out.
    The mechanic has 22 years experience working exclusively for Bajaj main dealerships and has done all the courses on Bajaj’s bikes.
    I would pay money for the pleasure of watching a master at work. Note how he listens to the sound of the valve spinning on it’s seat to determine when the valve is nicely ground and seated.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Quality.
    Reminds me of a service I got in Nairobi at Jungle Junction. The guy took his time, dus everything by sight and hand and gave the bike (Ktm Adventure) the best service it'd ever had. He'd make a bloody fortune in the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nice one @CRYSTALJOHN ! I bet she goes like a rocket now!!

4. Richard mate, you'd struggle to keep up with me on your 1098R.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. New Front tyre being fitted to my bike, after 13 years of hard abuse it was getting a tad worn.

Fitting charge was 100 rupees, that equates to £1.06.

6. I've spent hours over the years grinding valves in, opposite way round though, using a stick with a suction pad on the valve head.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I’ve never seen it done this way before, makes sense though.

8. Nice bin shot, DB will be happy. Not so happy by the Blue and not Red flip flops though

9. I agree, from what you’ve said in the past, I reckon the R may struggle for grip on the local tracks!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Great stuff. Whereabouts in Southall can I find this guy?:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. (Nasal voice on) Well, I hope he carried out a proper risk risk assessment before starting work in flip flops. (Nasal voice off)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Hi psych0hans. I am back in the U.K now. I was hanging out in S. Goa which I something I have been doing for many years. I have noticed a huge change over the last few years in the bikes I'm now seeing around. Quite a few bikers on big bikes now relative to how it used to be. I've chatted with quite a few guys who are riding about in India on bigger bikes. I'm still in the process of getting an 'Aadhar card' as I want/need to upgrade my little Pulsar 180DTSI to a Mk2 Himalayan. I see you are in Bombay.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information