1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veganism

Discussion in 'Speakers Corner' started by Mac, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Is it just me, or is anybody else concerned that eating red meat (or meat in general) is going the way of smoking?

I remember how the anti-smoking movement started to gain serious traction in the '90s and I can see the same thing happening with meat. How long before it's highly taxed under the guise of 'Oh, but it's bad for you to eat meat'. I reckon it'll happen within this generation, especially with the environmental zeitgeist. Sure, you'll still be able to get it but even cheaper cuts are going to become horribly expensive, I reckon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hopefully yes!

What’s the hardest thing about being a vegan who has recently run a marathon? Knowing which to shoe-horn into a conversation first!

• Funny Funny x 6
  3. Bacon cures all kinds of veganism/vegatarianism.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. You can take my beef and bacon away.

After you've won and I'm dead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Throw in cycling or religion and you have a trifecta.

Any arguments against apart from animal deaths?

6. Not really an argument against, but I have wondered once they get bored of anti-smoking what they would start on next.

I thought it would be alcohol, as it’s a drain on the health service too.

But maybe you’re right and it’s going to be eating meat.

7. Animal hauntings and poltergeists. Say no to meat murder or you'll be sooooorrrryyyy!

Nah - respect for all life, methane emissions, "meat is an unhealthy diet", weird religious beliefs that have their roots in archaic issues over cooking preparation and hygiene ... that's about it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. assuming the wife doesnt take it too far, i'm cool with it.

9. You raise a good point, Alan. I thought you'd given up doing that!

Veganism is the habit of railing against something in order to make oneself feel in some way important. Good catch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Basically it is pumped full of chemicals and antibiotics. Whenever I eat meat it makes me feel lethargic and heavy, basically like crap and I’m convinced that it’s full of all kinds of unknowns. Take a look at a documentary titled Gamechangers and form your own opinion. I’m all for a bit of killing so it’s not that, I just think we don’t need it in our diets and in its commercially available form, is fucking with us!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Veganism is getting traction because some of it does genuinely promote good health and healthy living etc.

However, the altitude and extremists that follow it, to the death, is what ruins it for me. It's a bit like Religion, there's good and bad in all, just don't tell me I'm a psycho animal murderer and my choices in life are selfish etc.

So yes, totally agree with the post.

12. I find it confusing that major corporate entities are bending over backwards to accommodate the tiny number of people in the UK who choose to live a life free from animal products as their spending power is like the proverbial, drop in the ocean. Much of a vegan way of life is promoted by zealots, some of whom distort or ignore facts to promote their agenda. I genuinely feel compassion for those people whose lives are blighted by a dietary disorder but the fact remains, the human digestion has not evolved to live on plants alone. A recent programme pretty well debunked the diary alternatives, exposing most to contain very little of the substitute ingredient and having ‘additives’ to put back the nutrients and vitamins the substitute doesn’t have. And please, please do not start a discrimination argument. If you are one of the small number of people with a dietary intolerance, you should have access to what you need to live. If you are a conscientious objector, get in the queue with all the other minority life style choosers. Andy

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. You need to have at least one vegan to bring down the mood at a barbecue!

• Funny Funny x 6
  14. I've mentioned this before but when I was working for a farmer, every now and again he would spray the crop fields with excess human waste from the sewage plants.

so everytime you have your nan bread, weetabix, plant based diet....think of me squirling one out to make your veggie meals taste better.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. you dont make friends with salad...its true... turn up at a bbq in NZ with a bowl of salad and no steaks and see how popular you are!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Same in Cape Town, but at least you know where the meat came (usually directly) from!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Back in the early 1970’s, Farnborough and Urban District Council, trialled a sewage treatment process that recycled the chemically distilled liquid separated from the bulk sewage, back into the aquifer and sold the virtually dry, treated, solid waste to the local farming community as a fertiliser because the waste was nitrogen rich. Ah, my first job as a supposed adult, great, great days :joy: Andy

18. If you have a vegan friend at easter, buy a chocolate easter egg, eat it and then use the tin foil

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. That's less true of high quality meat.

20. Wonder what chemicals they use to make veg taste like chicken burgers

• Useful Useful x 1

Do Not Sell My Personal Information