1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle Tax Rip Off

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Mar 24, 2019.

1. It occurs to me that with four vehicles in all, but no great mileage, I am ripped off. Given that road state is terrible anyway, I believe that vehicle tax is a con. Also, with the government's willingness to skew rates in order to encourage people to buy certain types of car until it becomes popular and then rip them, is it fair way of taxing people? Taxing petrol is simple but with the growth of electric vehicles then taxing petrol is not he future.

Given that our governments are useless at being fair and thinking of the future - either individually or combined. I can see vehicle tax just going one way.

2. Vehicle Tax is just a tax, like every other tax. Its purpose is to fund Government and the Civil Service - if it can be made to look like its fair to all, that's great, but if not, that's OK too.

The government wants your money and in exchange, you get to "vote" on stuff. As long as the stuff we vote on isn't too outlandish, the government will pretend to act on our vote (but won't, not really). If the idea is too "out-there", they won't even pretend.

TL;DR - vehicle tax is a grab for your money, just like all other taxes. "Fair" is not the object of the exercise.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. That is my problem. I still think about fairness in government. Time to leave that thought, I think...

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Deffo, time to put that crazy idea well and truly out of your head on move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I wonder if bikes should have the option of a pay as you go meter on them? Some in here would spend £1.20 for 12 months :D

Like water, my old flat was on the old rates and worked out £340 a year, went onto a meter, it dropped to £140 a year

6. I moan about this every year with my vehicles on the road,but it is what it is,and you have to suffer for your art in the pocket:(.................fu#ck the government is the answer and enjoy the rides out before it's too late in life:):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. I personally think the past number of generations of high-beam lighting technology. Is ripping off nature for its ability to sustain insect life. Along with these horrible new generation LED street lighting that is adjustable however the councils keep them on so bright. At night along motorways upgraded with them I could read a book its so fucking bright.

Whatever happened to darkening the streets & giving back night time to the nocturnal animals. Just another pledge rescinded by the vile tories. Along with closing tax havens in 2017..

8. With the SORN and re-taxing processes now online and pretty much instant , why not tax as you use the bikes ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Might have something to do with most of the animals appearing in the dark seem to be of the two legged kind

10. Rubbish. As a UK taxpayer I have no vote not even in a referendum.

11. Not you, Bob. No.

Being a foreigner, you can't be trusted with a UK vote : o )

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I do that every year:upyeah:but still paying way too mmmmmmmmuch:mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wish I was a foreigner. Might still have to move back to the UK and become a burden on the NHS yet.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ah, so your Brexit position is entirely selfish, mmmmm I see :joy:

15. We will be glad to have you back, Bob.

As long as you say "Sorry" for becoming a Frenchie.

16. That would be "pardonne-moi" actuellement.

17. Plus a months worth of extra VED they make from vehicle sales part-way through a month.

As a seller you loose a months worth of rebate. Then as a buyer you pay for a whole month.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. And now, you don't get to vote either.

Hope you're happy!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. What? I've seen your musical taste on the other thread. I know its your style!

20. That's low, that is. Sneaky.

Anyway, Bob T now has your vote, it's done and dusted.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information