1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Basic Question About Levers.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by wadesnj, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Just got a nice shiny pair of levers to replace my horrible corroded ones. I realised that I have never done this, and don't know how the barrel bit that holds the push rods into the lever comes apart! I assume it is simple? IMG_20181122_141005.jpg

2. You said basic - I was going to tell you which way to pull them :rolleyes:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Pretty much. Just look out for any springs or other small bits that may pop off too

4. I think it is towards me to go slower or to disengage the clutch. But I may be wrong, I've only been riding 40 years.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. How do the barrels come out of the eye bit?

6. What bike is this??

7. I believe they just slide out, from memory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Iirc there may be a small circlip (been years since I did some)

9. Me too. well 38, when you find out let me know :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Should be self explanatory as you proceed with the work:thinkingface:

11. If it's a ducati with Brembo master cylinders then you have to unscrew the plunger from the barrel in the lever, it's about a 6mm, but there is a 1mm allen bolt that holds this in, more than likely its on the underside so you can't see it from the top. Make sure you loosen that first otherwise you will damage the threaded part of the pluger. Re-assemble making a note how far the thread goes in.

12. You need to unscrew the actuating pin from the barrel first, then it will drop out. Refit and then screw the pin back in. There is a very small grub screw in the barrel locking the pin in place. Undo this first else you’ll wreck the pin.
    Once it’s all back in place on the bike, it’s critical you set the free play on the pin/brake piston before you tighten the grub screw back up. You want a couple of mm of free play. Get it wrong, you’ll get either the clutch slipping or worst case, the front brakes locking up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. upload_2018-11-24_14-38-12.png upload_2018-11-24_14-38-12.png
    Here

• Like Like x 2
  14. [​IMG]
    here

• Like Like x 2
  15. Getting the plunger back inside the rubber boot is a right pita and I tore one.
    I ended up putting it in the boot first, then fitting it to to the lever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Use Vaseline as it works getting it into the rubber boot

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brilliant, thanks everybody for your help, made it a quick and easy job, luckily I had the tiny key for the grub screw on the clutch side. Brake side was simple. Great quality after market levers from Getor in Germany, just £35 the pair Inc postage. IMG_20181124_144110.jpg IMG_20181124_150549.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. 2004 Monster 1000Sie

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. I used proper brake lubricant, was easy.

20. It was really.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information