1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Very Small Coolant Leak

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Daniel Howes, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Hi guys,
    Thought I might post something quickly and see if this is a common fault or not. Over the past couple of days I've only done around 100 miles but when I got back earlier today to 'de-salt' the bike I noticed a small amount of coolant on top of the engine cover. I've just pulled the side fairing off to check the coolant levels and they're both ok, so it must be very small. It looks like it is coming from what I believe looks like the thermostat housing. Whether it's a hose or a jubilee clip I'm unsure. Managed to get quarter of a turn on a clip just now with an extension and U.J so we will see what happens I guess and I will monitor it. Has anyone else had similar issues in the same region and if so what was it in the end? I still have warranty so if needs be I will book it in. But if it's a quick fix I can do myself then it would be good to know. Pictures attached.
    Thanks
    Danny

IMG_5965.JPG

IMG_5966.JPG

IMG_5967.JPG

2. Photo #2 looks like the classic water pump leak. Can't really tell from the other two.

• Like Like x 1
  3. If it is the water pump it would it not be a constant flow? I take it if a seals gone it would be coming out of the leak off hole? Am I right in saying that? Cheers

4. Yes. Mine leaked from there. It started off as an intermittent leak but gradually got worse. I thought it was a hose leak and chased my tail for ages. @nelly soon put me right. Hasn't leaked at all since the pump was changed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks for the info :) glad you managed to sort yours out

6. I thought I'd come home and run it up in the garage for a bit. Ran it hot and watched with a torch, not one drip, no small haze of coolant, nothing-so maybe it was that jubilee clip just needed a nip....surely if it was the water pump if I had it running till it was hot for 15 mins you would see something at least....even if it was a bit of residue somewhere....
    Hmmmmm

7. Maybe but being that it's evidently such a small leak it may not...

If in doubt get it booked in mate

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mine has same. Intermittent. Going in for service and will be checked then.

9. Update: my bike has just been with Ducati seastar super bikes for the last couple of days for them to look at this small coolant leak. Apparently they have ran the bike up to temperature to check and they can confirm it is 'weeping' from the water pump leak off hole (they said from cold). They have contacted Ducati warranty about this and have advised them 'this is normal from cold'....I personally can't see how any sort of fluid leak can be deemed as 'normal'...What do I do now is the question? I have seen on the forum that other owners have had their water pumps and seals replaced, but they're obviously not going to replace mine for some obscene reason....any advice would be appreciated please. I have sent a email to Ducati customer services but don't know what else I can do....
    Cheers

IMG_6185.JPG

IMG_6188.JPG

#9 Daniel Howes, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  10. It's not normal. Mine started to leak from the same location. The water pump was changed under warranty and it's now bone dry, even from cold. Has been good for the last 4000 miles.

IMG_1682.JPG

11. Thanks razz, appreciate the comment. Just rode it home, got back and there's still coolant there. Apparently they spoke to Ducati warranty and it's normal, so how do I go about this now? As they blatantly think there is no fault! They also told me the newer 959 has a nipple coming off the water pump with a pipe attached so when water leaks out of the hole it drips beneath the bike and not onto the covers...I just don't know what else I can do. I thought by taking it into a Ducati main dealer it was the right thing to do. My bike still has manufacturers warranty until September....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. It is new info from the factory that their R&D department have recently informed dealer of that if the coolant just dribbles from the vent and drys onto the cases it is acceptable, was told this info was given to dealer techs on their training recently

13. Thanks for the message, this is what I got told. I'm not blaming seastar at all, they are all top guys and that is exactly what I got told.
    But it doesn't just dry as you can see from my pictures that are attached to this thread, there is enough that it sits on the casing....still can't be right in my eyes, how can you have a bike, car or any mechanical device that is liquid cooled and it leaks coolant and be told it's 'normal'....it isn't normal and it shouldn't be leaking. Razz proved this as his new water pump doesn't leak so technically it's fixed....

• Like Like x 1
  14. I agree

It'll only get worse as well. Having spoken to a number of dealers including a well known corse dealer today on danny's behalf, they've all agreed it's not right. And even a weep will get worse.

15. Thanks Adam, but where does that leave me or anyone else with this issue? Either I leave it as per Ducati's instructions or I pay out of my own pocket to have it done which I shouldn't have to at all! That's what warranty is for!! And I add I'm not going to pay for it and going to make sure this issue isn't only resolved for me but for everyone else too....it's just not right

16. I'd take it up the chain with Ducati customer services myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Email already sent bud. Fingers crossed. I will post the reply I get on here....

• Like Like x 1
  18. Deffinitely not normal for any waterpump to leak, the hole is a "tell tale" so you know the seal is failing and to avoid coolant mixing with the engine oil.

Is it a ceramic seal setup?.

19. My friend also advised me of coolant mixing with the oil. That's why I hadn't been out on the bike until it was booked in at Ducati. How can this leak sound pretty severe to all of us but not to Ducati :-S
    I'm not 100% sure what type of seal it is...?

20. Looks like a 2 part sprung ceramic seal setup, the coolant should not mix with the oil.

Where the tell tale hole is located is in "no mans land", one side will have an oil seal the other side has the impeller and ceramic seal.

Piaggio warranted a bike with 10,000 miles on it for the same failure so a bit of a poor show from Ducati?.

Plenty of bikes have the ceramic seal and none of them leak..

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information