1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Viewing!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Wylyetom, May 8, 2021.

1. After spotting the 748R for sale last week this morning I traveled the 200 miles to have a look. On first impressions the bike looked super, after the initial excitement I set to work spending time looking over the bike for any potential problems. I think although only having covered 6500 miles you can easily forget that these bikes are 20 years old, the problems I found included flakey silver engine paint, cracked temp gauge, small crack on the underneath of the mirror arm and finally something going on with the under seat ECU? The bike has had a carbon termi exhaust fitted, I wasn’t sure if this is anything to do with the sticker and grommet being removed from the top of this ECU ( pic attached )?? Just asking if all of these sound normal issues on these bikes and if they can be sorted later? Obviously I will be using these to haggle the asking price down!

C2E7EEE1-4C86-4B5D-8F70-A99F864CA210.jpeg

2. The grommet has to come out to fit the eeprom in the ECU for the Termis. This wrecks the sticker. By not replacing the sticker there can be water ingress into the ECU. The stickers can be picked up on eBay.

Guess what - non on eBay at moment but part number is 43311791A

#2 chrisw, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Looks a little unloved from that picture.
    Tool roll is missing.
    What Chris said above. If water has got in then that’s a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeah I think the ecu is looking a bit rough to some of the other parts you can see in that picture IMO plus cracked temperature gauge hmm

5. did it run? whats the price? any more info/pics?

6. if its 5k and straight then dont waste your time haggling just buy it

• WTF WTF x 1
  7. You could buy mine off me for less than that.

8. Paint flaking is normal, temp gauge cracking is normal, sticker missing on ECU is normal when EPROM gets changed.
    Mirror arm cracked isn't normal.

9. Never had a sticker on my 748 for years - no problem with water ingress.

Biggest issue is - Tom - what’s with them brown boots?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. did you use it much in the wet though R? - if you were lucky/big grommet was nice and greasy or a really good fit then I guess you could get away with it. Each to their own, but for a bit of sticky tape, it's not worth the risk for me, had one fail after a torrential journey from picking up at Manchester.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. cut of jeans suggest they belong to a female?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. blasphemy

13. Paint flaking and temperature gauge cracked at 6500 miles is not normal to me I’ve a 748s from new with nearly 20000 on the clock and no damage , probably been out doors for some of its life .

14. Thanks, yes correct the boots were my wife’s ! As to the bike it has come from Italy and the exhausts were fitted when it arrived, the cracked glass on the gauge looks to be from something falling on it as it’s cracked in three places. Obviously it’s top money but as I have been watching ebay for quite a long time there doesn’t appear to be many red late style R models, how often do they come up for sale??

15. They don’t come on the market that often but they are out there. IMO if the one you looked at is the one in Sheffield then that asking price is well OTT. Also at that price it should have the original silencers & EPROM chip with it as well.

The other place to keep an eye on is the auction houses, eg Bonhams and H&H

ps. Good move to take the wife, always best to have her onside :upyeah::D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. £13,480.00 ? Inflating prices like this means insurance shoots up and bikes stay in garages, never seeing the open road. Next up stuff starts getting nicked to order and containered to the the new "owner". Then "new" bikes appear, made from parts and no one knows what is real or not.

I have seen it happen in other products and no one wins. I seriously hope it does not permeate our little world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Premium priced motorbikes should be in premium original condition in my opinion with all the correct paperwork inplace, if it's not right 4 you then don't be afraid to walk away.Perhaps @Expats would be the better bet as a UK motorcycle but with much more mileage on the speedometer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Walk away, now ! Your picture is not showing the correct mono subframe, it’s a bodge. Andy

19. What is incorrect with the subframe? Sorry for all the questions but it’s good to know when viewing bikes

Do Not Sell My Personal Information