1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Voltage Indicator Flashing On 1198s...

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by AndrewS, Apr 30, 2017.

1. My 1198S has always been a bit reluctant to start - turns over slowly, but always catches in the end. The voltage indicator on the dash generally reads a bit over 12v when I first turn the ignition on (maybe 12.3, falling in a minute or two to 12.2, 12.1...), and 14.3-ish (steady) with the engine running (so it's charging OK?).

I rode 40 or so miles yesterday, and when I turned the ignition on just now the voltage was reading 12v and flashing. I had the battery checked a while ago and it was OK, but I'm wondering if it's on the way out? Separate issue, I probably need a set of Exige's leads as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew

2. I think you've answered your own question, it looks like your battery isn't holding charge, it should be around 12.7 ish.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Corrected a little bit of that post for you... :D

Set of @Exige's Leads and the bike will fire up much easier :upyeah:

Still the best money I've spent on the 1198 ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. We haven't met have we???!

Fair point, I probably need a new battery and some leads!

• Agree Agree x 2

5. Not that I'm aware of...

New Battery and Hi-Cap Leads would be my starting point, then take it from there :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Just wondered how you knew of my reluctance to put hand in pocket!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. :Wideyed:

8. Innocent turn of phrase intended...

But now you've confessed, get your wallet out and buy some ;) You'll not regret it!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Quick update - had the bike on the Optimate for a couple of hours. Voltage was 12.4 when I turned it on just now, fell to a flashing 12v within a minute. Don't think it's very well!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Does your bike have auto lights on though? If you wait until they go off a minute or so after you turn ignition on them it could pick up to 12.5 volts or more. If this is the case, then it's a better indication of the standing battery voltage.

11. Chris - the lights do come on with the ignition, don't actually know if they go off after a minute. I'll have a look in the morning.

12. Untitled.jpg
    This is how the headlights work

13. Thanks for that, you live and learn!

14. You're welcome..

15. OK, another update...

I dug out the DVM yesterday and measured voltage at the battery (well, at the end of the Optimate lead).

With ignition off, 13.1V.
    With ignition on, lights on, 12.4V (back up to 12.8V when lights went off)
    While cranking, ~11V
    Engine running at about 3k rpm, 14.2V

Repeated these measurements just now (i.e 24 h later, no charging), all the readings were within a couple of tenths of those I got yesterday.

The voltage reading on the dash was always lower than those from the meter - is this normal?

So maybe the battery is OK and I need to sent Stu a message?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. They look good readings, looks like the battery is OK.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hopefully the final update on this...

I fitted some of Exige's Exact-Start cables last Tuesday (fiddly job but the instructions were good). Didn't get a chance to ride until this morning, so got the bike out, pressed the button and it started straight away (all the more impressive considering it hasn't been on the Optimate for a couple of weeks). Before fitting the cables it would have really struggled to turn over and may, or may not, have started at all. The best bit was when I stopped for fuel. Paid, got back on the bike and - started immediately! Hopefully no more crossing everything hoping I won't look a prat (well, at least not because the bike won't start...).

As someone else said, probably the best mod for a 1x98 - thanks Stu.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. Best mod for virtually any Ducati imho
    Best money I've spent on my 999 and I really wish I'd had the chance to fit one to my SS.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information