1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted. A Second Bike. Or Do I?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by spanish, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Present Multi 1260 pp is just over 2 years old and I am getting restless. Do not want to loose the Multi as it is a brilliant bike especially for touring. Once again (2016 added a 1200 Monster R to the stable and that was a brilliant bike but had insufficient use so sold to another forum member in 2018) I am thinking of taking on a second bike that has quite a different character to the Multi.
    Lots of research, test rides and thinking-perhaps too much of the last- but my thoughts and wishes are now with an 1100 Scrambler. Liked the BMW R nine t but It was a bit small so an uncomfortable ride, although good discounts available. The Scrambler 1100 was just brilliant when riding a demo out of Norwich. Love the look of the new Sport Pro but 13k plus on the road is a lot of cash for a second bike and really no deals to be done. Been looking for a second hand 1100 sport (previous incarnation) but really none around.
    Any thoughts on running a second bike and the merits of the 1100 scrambler?

2. Get a second anything....if you love the bike youve got but want to change - if you can, get another one....if you dont...(what a lot of people do)....the above conundrum is seeded....and i used to be the same way...

1. See another said bike in the car park of the bike shop or on the shop floor....
    2. Want said bike, your bike goes up for sale....
    3. Bike doesnt sell immediately, starts to get a little desparate as you want to sell, want the new bike, so the price you want is dropped.
    4. Bike sold, get new bike, go into new finance....
    5. 2 years later (or whatever time) the whole thing starts again....

Ive got 3 bikes....theyre the three types of bike that i love....supermoto, naked and sports. Now its lad logic but when your at that point, even in your head its really difficult to justify something new...ie im on my RSV4, out for the day....see a new superduke 1290r - think...yeah thats nice, but ive got my z1000 at home in perfect working order, setup as i want it, all the mod cons i need....them it gets hard to justify....your just changing one naked for the next...this, has stopped me time and time again buying, or wanting something else....6 years now since i last bought something (hypermotard 1100 evo sp) see the new hyper....nice...but id be just changing one for something else almost the same....also works say for example, sell my rsv4, buy a new sdr1290 (my fav new bike) but id have 2 naked bikes....doesnt compute....

This theory at the moment seems to be holding for me.... :) if do change id have to be in the money if i did...which, i aint at the moment...nowhere near... :]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Every ride is a different experience, variety is the spice of life. And only the newest one loses money ;)
    :upyeah:

8BE4AA80-7426-440C-A9BA-022255EC3EBA.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Get a modern classic. Ducati 900SS/SL carby, 851/888, early Monster, Ducati Bevel (if you can afford one)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yeah but dont you agree once youve got what you want it gets pretty hard to justify that...next bike...ie i hit that point at 3....

6. Not when interest on savings is at an all time low and old bikes (the right old bikes) are increasing in value.

It just makes sense

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Are you available for 1 2 1 counselling for addicts like me?

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. yeah - easy....as i said....get the bikes you like...then itll be a lot harder to get a newer bike thats essentially the same....ie my rsv4 factory is probably worth, 8.5k.....will i pay another 10k or whatever for the same thing with electronics...like fuck will i....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. A little bit different if youve got the cash and your amassing a collection.....all of mine get used all the time...

10. Yes. More is the new less.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yes. And with the forthcoming slump I’m gonna fill my boots. :cool:

12. I have the new V2 and a scrambler 1100 Sport...........completely different bikes and the best of both worlds IMO :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 3 is enough to use - I stopped at 3 on the road too :)

14. Hypermotard 1100... built for hooning:upyeah:

15. I have gone through the Multistrada and another bike process and have finished up with a Street Triple. I have to say that I am loving it for shorter runs and you don't require more power for UK roads. Before you make a decision, give the latest 2020 RS a roadtest. Just a fabulous contrast to the Multi and the engine is absolutely brilliant.

16. You simply can't have too many bikes, the real deciding factor as far as I am concerned is the size of your man cave. You want to be able to get any one of them out at a moments notice without having to move all the others out of the way.
    My son is getting a new garage built so maybe I can stash one there soon, that means I'll be looking for another providing my wife says it's OK !! :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Exactly my point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. So spill a bean or two!

19. Biding my time ;)

20. More is always better

I used to compete in trials (pre 65, twinshock & modern).... I had 7 trials bikes that all got ridden.

I've always done a fair bit of Mountain biking, always had a few.... I've got 6, (2 full suss, 2 good h/tail & 2 shonkers for work n commute) 4 of the 6 all get ridden, 1 full suss is in bits awaiting parts for a major fix.

I've ridden motorbikes for years on the road, I've always run multiple road bikes of different purposes... I've got two on the road at the minute.. Monster & hyper. Two very different bikes. I fancy a jap stinkwheel too but I've enough to do for now, that might wait a while....

I like buying, I like riding, I like tinkering, I don't like selling.... I've got issues

More is always better

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information