1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning - Multitool With Knife Blade Confiscated At Uk Boarder Control

Discussion in 'Touring' started by steveb123, Jun 21, 2019.

1. A couple of weeks ago I was stopped at the UK Boarder Control point when getting on a ferry at Plymouth (i.e. leaving the country). I was asked if I had a knife on me or in my luggage and I said no. I was then asked if I had a multitool, which I did so said yes. "Does this multitool have a blade" was the next question, to which it does (don't they all?), so I replied yes. I was asked to show them the multitool and open the blade. I was told the multitool would be confiscated as the blade locked in the open position. I asked that if I could snap the blade off could I keep the remainder of the multitool, to which which they said yes. Unfortunately I was not able to break the blade, so the multitool was confiscated.

The multitool in question was part of the Motohansa compact tool kit which is not particularly expensive or precious to me.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I think I was particularly unlucky as the UK Boarder officer that stopped me was a trainee under supervision, so was following the rules with no discretion. The particular problem with the blade on my multitool was that it locked in the open position.

#1 steveb123, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. easier to stop a multitool leaving than an illegal inimmigrant entering ...

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Were you on the bike - so this was on you - or in your baggage?

Yes - ALL locking blade knifes or fixed blade knifes are illegal to carry in public without a good reason... which is just crazy.... buying knifes at a shop (kitchen) or a stanley knife... bringing it home.... walking up high street... all illegal..

Non locking pen knifes are more dangerous to the user than locking...

I understand the clamp down because of knife crime... but they are not tackling the cause...

I have a number of UK Legal knifes... and lots of UK not legal knifes which are OK as long as they are at home...

I like knifes - and have quite a collection..

I always travel with UK legal ones in my checked baggage... but quiet often buy knifes when in USA... and bring them back in checked baggage into UK.

About 18 months ago... I had a police officer turn up at my door asking why I was importing an automatic knife which was picked up at customs coming into the country... one of my guys posted it to me from USA..

It was not an Automatic knife by definition... it was an Assisted Opening knife... UK legal... as long as not in public.. I showed a website where I could purchase in UK - but its was an old model and no longer stocked.. hence why I bought it in USA..

Explained all this to the officer... he was happy... said he would send report to HM Customs... month later still nothing - spoke to Officer - he gave me a reference number and a contact number.

Spoke to HM Customs.. they were really angry I was calling them as Police Officer should not have given away the contact number... They destroyed knife despite it not being illegal.. £300... lost...

So I feel for you... world gone mad...

4. Shit.. how did you manage to open your beer bottles?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I was on my Multistrada and the multitool was in the original tool roll, in a tool kit bag which I velcro into the space at the back, top of the right hand pannier.

I was not aware that having a locking blade made the multitool illegal. I would have thought having a blade that could fold up when use was potentially dangerous.

I had used the blade a few times when touring, but only to cut bread, cheese, fruit etc. when having a "roadside" picnic.

Lesson learned, I'm now on the hunt for a multitool with a non-locking blade or blades.

As a mostly law abiding citizen, I am glad to have helped with the fight against knife crime and to see that we are in control of our boarders :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. So hardly accessible or being carried in a public place....

As you say.. just unlucky...

7. I have an Opinel with a corkscrew built into the handle. Bought for me as a present by my touring buddy when in France a few years ago. Usually take this on tour for exactly the reason you state in the quote above. Great when camping too. Will have to leave it at home from now on :(

[​IMG]

#7 Bumpkin, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  8. Theres another young black life saved in London with that knife off the street! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  9. AC1B0673-56AC-4FCA-AB83-DAAC4DA3628A.jpeg My leatherman multi tool has a long ‘non locking’ blade. Lost count of the number of times I’ve cut more skin off my pinkies using it than anything else.
    Only this morning put it in me diddy Kriega I put my disc lock in when on the Pani. As it had pliers; useful to get out nails etc from tyres.

10. Guns for show, knives for a pro.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. The locking function on my multi tool is a slot on the blade which could be cut away with a dremmel should I wish.

If you can't find one, maybe adaption is the way to go.

12. You should of stated it was either your EDC; every day carry knife. With a blade 3 inches or less or if larger a tool used for specific tasks. It's utter bollocks that this muppets think they can confiscate items used in a role such as bushcraft or camping.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/ct/uk-knife-laws.htm

Even to police, if you can demonstrate a use for a large knife. Such as clearing brush for a camp site, its fine. They might 'try it on' still & resist you but do not back down. Frankly I'd of forced a scene & either posted the item back home or...stop summiting to people in power. We are society, we are the reason those uniform wearing jobsworths have rules & regulations!

#12 GunZenBomZ, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Gerber do a travel tool with no blade and only small scissors. Being less than 6cm long the scissors are legal.

Had a lot of conversations with misguided border people about it. Haven’t been proved wrong yet.

14. The other thing you can do is get one of the credit card style metal multitools and using a whetstone sharpen one of the sides to make a cheese / bread cutter. Just watch your fingers and don’t apply force on that side with your hand.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. I hope you didn't show them your phone cover?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. From:
    https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Lock knives
    Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:

• have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
    • can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener
    Use of the word 'can' implies this is precisely an area where discretion is applied. The fact that you were not carrying it on your person, the multitool was stowed in your luggage with other tools and equipment all aimed at the same purpose, i.e. repairs, maintenance, camping etc.. could be argued. However, a jobsworth is a jobsworth of any stripe!

17. Yeah but if you’re going to use one for something illegal then are you going to be deterred by the fact that they’re illegal to carry? Probably not.

So as with everything it’s the people who are doing nothing wrong who are inconvenienced “for our own good”. I now can't carry a pocket knife when I’m out and about for fear of prosecution, even though it’s a genuinely useful item to have on me. People who say that there is no reason to carry a knife are typically not the sort of people you turn to for practical things.

The powers that be don’t earn through taxation anything from us repairing things, much better that we just pay to recycle what’s broken and buy something new eh? This world makes me more cynical by the day. :(

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. Inspired!

19. Tere must be a Border control guy sat at home with a fabulous collection of multitools.... or am I being cynical?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. I thought the same when they kept my ZT 303

Do Not Sell My Personal Information